-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Second black smoke, cardinals to vote again for new pope
Thick black smoke billowed Thursday from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel in a sign that cardinals again failed to elect a new head of the Catholic Church.
Among the thousands of Catholics and curious tourists massed in St Peter's Square, there was applause but also sighs at the result, which came after the second and third ballots.
The 133 cardinals voting for a successor to Pope Francis as head of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics were shut in for the secretive conclave on Wednesday evening.
Sequestered away from the world, they communicate their progress by burning their ballot papers and sending up smoke through the chimney of the frescoed 15th-century chapel.
Black smoke means no one has secured the minimum two-thirds majority -- 89 votes -- and white smoke signals the election of the 267th pope.
The first black smoke on Wednesday evening arrived some three hours and 15 minutes after the cardinals closed their doors, greeted with some disappointment by the assembled crowds.
But many people returned on Thursday, where the red-robed prelates held two more ballots in the morning. They were scheduled to hold another two in the afternoon and then four more on Friday, unless a pope is elected sooner.
"I don't want it rushed -- whatever they need to do to make the right decision," said Barbara Mason, 50, who travelled from Canada for the conclave.
She was hoping for a pope who will continue in Francis's progressive footsteps, especially as a champion of the environment and migrants, "going forward, not going backward".
Francis, a charismatic Argentine reformer who sought to open up the Church during his 12 years as pope, died on April 21 aged 88.
- Oath of secrecy -
Paolo Cabrera, 40, from the Philippines, arrived early at the Vatican with his wife Cynthia to secure a spot as close as possible to St Peter's Basilica, where the new pontiff will be presented to the world from the balcony after the vote.
"It is very, very exciting to be here," he said.
As Filipinos, they said they were rooting for their compatriot Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle, one of the favourites -- but said that they would be happy with "anybody appointed by God".
The cardinal electors -- all those aged under 80 -- spent the night in the Santa Marta guesthouse and were to seek divine inspiration at private mass early Thursday before starting to vote again.
Seated at tables and chairs laid out beneath Michelangelo's frescoes in the Sistine Chapel, each cardinal must write down their choice for pope on a ballot paper and take it to the altar, where it is put in a silver urn.
After the ballots have been counted, they are burned in a cast iron stove dating back to 1939. Chemicals are added to a second, newer stove, connected to the same flue, which colour the smoke.
While their procession into the Sistine Chapel on Wednesday was broadcast live by the Vatican, including on screens in St Peter's Square, the feed cut as soon as they locked the doors.
The cardinals had to leave their phones behind and took an oath not to reveal the secrets of the conclave on pain of excommunication -- and they will stay until they make a decision.
- Waiting -
In 2005, Pope Benedict XVI was elected in four ballots and Pope Francis in 2013 in five ballots.
But experts warn the 2025 conclave -- the largest and the most international ever, assembling cardinals from around 70 countries -- could take longer.
There is no clear frontrunner to succeed Francis, with the cardinals representing a range of progressive and conservative traditions within the Church.
The challenges facing the 2,000-year-old institution are clear, and the new pope after his election will need to tread carefully amid geopolitical uncertainty, while addressing deep fractions within the Church.
There is also the continued fallout from the global clerical sex abuse scandal and, in the West, increasingly empty pews.
Around 80 percent of the cardinals voting were appointed by Francis -- an impulsive yet energetic champion of the downtrodden.
But while some cardinals are looking to a new pope to protect and develop his legacy, others want a more conservative defender of doctrine.
More than a dozen names are circulating, from Italian Pierbattista Pizzaballa to Hungary's Peter Erdo and Sri Lanka's Malcolm Ranjith.
"The church has many divisions between liberals and conservatives, which are divisions that should not be, because I believe that the Church is universal," said Juan Benitez, a 37-year-old Colombian.
burs-dc/ar/ide/rlp
D.Schlegel--VB