-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
France charges 21 prison attack suspects
Prosecutors said Saturday that 21 suspects in a series of coordinated attacks on French prisons had been charged, including two teenagers.
Investigators believe the attacks were carried out by drug traffickers, with at least one suspect thought to have ties to a notorious cartel.
Attackers in April struck at several jails and other facilities across France, torching cars, spraying the entrance of one prison with automatic gunfire and leaving mysterious inscriptions.
A total of 30 people, including four minors, were arrested this week in police raids across France. Seven of them were released without charge.
Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau told reporters Saturday that 19 of the suspects were being held in pre-trial custody, while the two adolescents had been placed in a detention facility for minors.
They are accused of instigating the operations, acting as go-betweens, recruiting accomplices or carrying out the attacks, she said.
The suspects, aged between 15 and 37 and including two women, had targeted prison staff "with extreme, uninhibited and premeditated violence" in both their professional and private lives, she said.
Some of the suspects were believed to belong to organised crime groups, while other were "completely unknown" to police, Beccuau said.
The assaults have embarrassed the right-leaning government whose tough-talking ministers of justice, Gerald Darmanin, and interior, Bruno Retailleau, have vowed to intensify the fight against narcotics and drug-related crime.
President Emmanuel Macron has promised the attackers would be "found, tried and punished."
French anti-terror prosecutors were initially put in charge of the case due to the coordinated nature of the attacks but the office for the fight against organised crime, known by its acronym JUNALCO, has since taken over.
More than 300 investigators have been involved in the case.
Several of the arrests took place inside prisons, with suspected leaders of the attacks believed to have directed them from inside.
Attackers left the inscription "DDPF" -- standing for "Rights of French Prisoners" -- at nearly all the crime scenes.
The modus operandi of the assaults bore the hallmarks of organised crime, with perpetrators recruited online and promised "significant remuneration" in exchange for carrying out attacks, according to investigators.
On Tuesday, lawmakers approved a major new bill to combat drug-related crime, with some of France's most dangerous drug traffickers facing being locked up in high-security units in prison in the coming months.
D.Bachmann--VB