-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
Syria Druze leader condemns 'genocidal campaign' against community
Syrian Druze spiritual leader Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri on Thursday condemned what he described as a "genocidal campaign" against his community, following two days of deadly sectarian clashes that left 73 people dead.
The unrest poses a serious challenge to the Islamist authorities who ousted longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad in December, and comes after a wave of massacres last month in Syria's Alawite coastal stronghold.
In a statement, Hijri denounced the violence in Jaramana and Sahnaya, near Damascus, as an "unjustifiable genocidal campaign" and called for immediate intervention by "international forces to maintain peace and prevent the continuation of these crimes."
His remarks follow fighting between Syrian security forces, allied fighters, and local Druze groups, according to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).
The Britain-based monitor, which relies on a network of sources in Syria, said that the death toll from Jaramana and Sahnaya includes 30 members of the security forces, 15 fighters from the Druze minority and one civilian.
In the southern Suweyda province, 27 Druze gunmen were killed, 23 of them in an "ambush" on the Suweyda-Damascus road on Wednesday.
The fighters were killed in an attack "carried out by forces affiliated with the ministries of interior and defence and gunmen associated with them", the monitor told AFP.
- 'Protect all components' -
The violence was sparked by the circulation of an audio recording attributed to a Druze citizen and deemed blasphemous.
AFP was unable to confirm the recording's authenticity.
A truce agreement was reached on Wednesday in Jaramana and Sahnaya following meetings between Druze representatives and government officials.
Syrian authorities announced the deployment of their forces in Sahnaya to ensure security, accusing "outlaw groups" of instigating the clashes.
However, Hijri said he no longer trusts "an entity pretending to be a government... because the government does not kill its people through its extremist militias... and then claim they were unruly elements after the massacres".
"The government (should) protect its people," he added.
In March, security forces and allied groups killed more than 1,700 civilians, mostly Alawites, according to the Observatory.
It was the worst bloodshed since the December ouster of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad, who is from the minority community.
- External intervention -
Syria's new Islamist authorities, who have roots in the Al-Qaeda jihadist network, have vowed inclusive rule in the multi-confessional, multi-ethnic country, but must also contend with pressures from radical Islamists within their ranks.
In a statement on Wednesday, Syria's foreign ministry vowed to "protect all components" of society, including the Druze, and expressed its rejection of "foreign interference".
Foreign Minister Assaad al-Shaibani reiterated on Thursday his country's rejection of any demands for international intervention, saying on social media platform X that "national unity is the solid foundation for any process of stability or revival".
"Any call for external intervention, under any pretext or slogan, only leads to further deterioration and division," he added.
Israel, which sees Syria's new forces as jihadists carried out strikes on Syria on Wednesday, with its army saying troops were instructed to hit Syrian government targets "should the violence against Druze communities continue".
"A stern message was conveyed to the Syrian regime -- Israel expects them to act to prevent harm to the Druze community," said a statement from Netanyahu's office.
Israel's Foreign Minister Gideon Saar on Thursday called on the international community to "fulfill its role in protecting the minorities in Syria -- especially the Druze -- from the regime and its gangs of terror".
Israel has launched hundreds of strikes on military sites in Syria since Assad's downfall.
It has also sent troops into the demilitarised buffer zone of the Israeli-annexed Syrian Golan Heights and voiced support for Syria's Druze.
Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt on Wednesday urged Syria's Druze to "reject Israeli interference".
Syria's top Muslim cleric Osama al-Rifai warned that "if strife ignites in our country... all of us will lose".
C.Stoecklin--VB