-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
-
Real Madrid star players are compatible: Mourinho
-
Djibouti football federation accused of misusing funds
-
Drovix Launches In-House Multi-Asset Liquidity and Execution Stack for Sub-Millisecond Fills, Tighter Spreads
-
Australia charges man with trying to pass Ukraine military intel to Russia
-
'So bad it's good': rough animated film becomes surprise Chinese hit
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks: govt
-
'I'll adapt': First pregnant candidate navigates French presidential race
-
China, Indonesia hold talks on security, defence
-
Hong Kong convicts Tiananmen vigil activists of inciting subversion
-
Train to nowhere? South Korea's lonely push for peace with the North
-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
Blackout plunges Spain into chaotic night of darkness
Befuddled passers-by holding torches and mobile phones squinted through pitch-black streets early on Tuesday and stranded travellers spent the night at train stations after a crippling backout plunged Spain into darkness.
For Carmen Martinez, a 47-year-old economist, the eery hush in the streets of Madrid, a vibrant city renowned for its nightlife, "reminded me a little of the pandemic era, because there were so few people".
A visibly flustered Isabel had been traipsing through the Spanish capital's outer suburbs for more than three hours with her mobile in the quest to get home and shower.
"I don't know if I have hot water. I don't know how I'll manage but we will try," said the 50-year-old nurse, who declined to give her surname.
The blackout upended life for millions of people in Spain and Portugal on Monday, halting transport, cutting telephone and internet networks and leaving machinery idle.
AFP journalists heard screams of delight and applause in Madrid on Monday night as light progressively returned to homes and streets after more than 10 hours of outage.
But power had not been restored everywhere. National rail transport was at a standstill and desperate passengers crowded at bus stops because the Madrid metro was out of service.
At Spain's busiest railway station, Madrid Atocha, which along with dozens of other transit hubs remained open all night to assist passengers, the entrance hall had turned into a camp.
Exhausted travellers with haggard faces were strewn on the floor, some using cardboard or clothing for makeshift bedding in their determination not to miss the potential first departure on Tuesday morning.
One distraught couple left the station in tears, while others remained glued to their mobiles trying to contact loved ones and find information amid piles of suitcases.
- 'Nothing to eat' -
Ruben Coiran, 24, was returning home to Barcelona and had spent 11 hours stuck in Atocha waiting for news.
"It's tough -- putting up with the cold, bearing the hunger, hanging on... We're having a pretty rough time," he told AFP.
"There were elderly people, children who haven't been able to eat for six-seven hours. They don't have toilets," added Coran, who works in IT.
"For the elderly (and) people with babies, it was more difficult for them."
Argentine retirees Albertina Lezana and Gricelda Saiz had been enjoying a tour of Europe when the outage upended their plan to travel from Madrid to Barcelona for the flight back home.
"What if we miss the flight? I don't know what will happen. Now we will have to sleep here and we have nothing to eat," said Lezana, 86.
The Red Cross and the Spanish army's emergencies unit eventually arrived with truckloads of blankets and water for the stranded travellers.
Outside, police officers wearing fluorescent vests and wielding glowing batons waved vehicles through major roads and protected pedestrians across crossings now made perilous with lampposts and traffic lights turned off.
Mohamed Salah had tried fruitlessly to contact his family in Morocco and was left frustrated by the lack of information after the blackout interrupted his day's work as a waiter.
"I felt scared because I thought that in my country they had also cut off the electricity. We don't know what's happening in the world," said the 24-year-old.
bur-immmdm/gil
B.Baumann--VB