
-
Hearing ends without ruling on Trump attempt to oust Fed Governor Cook
-
Europeans tell Iran offer on table to avoid sanctions
-
FA Cup-holders Palace sign Spain winger Pino
-
Alcaraz romps into US Open fourth round, Rybakina advances
-
Alcaraz mows down Darderi to reach US Open last 16
-
Court battle underway as Fed Governor Cook contests firing by Trump
-
Schwarber hits historic four homers but misses rare shot at five
-
Injury doubt Tonali picked by Gattuso for Italy's World Cup qualifiers
-
Spurs sign Dutch midfielder Simons in boost for new boss Frank
-
Rybakina routs Raducanu to advance at US Open
-
US banana giant Chiquita returns to Panama
-
Martin says Rangers remain supportive despite woeful start
-
Stocks slide as US inflation clouds rates outlook
-
Smog then floods: Pakistani families 'can't catch a break'
-
US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
-
Ayuso triumphs in Vuelta stage seven, Traen keeps red jersey
-
Goalkeepers still posing problems for Man City boss Guardiola
-
Turkey bars Israeli ships, flights from its territory
-
Forest boss Nuno plans Marinakis talks after transfer issues
-
Putin will have 'played' Trump if he refuses to meet Zelensky: Macron
-
Norris sets early pace at Dutch Grand Prix practice
-
Bargell tackles medical challenge and starts for US at Women's Rugby World Cup
-
Vardy in talks to sign for Serie A outfit Cremonese: source
-
Trump withdraws Kamala Harris's Secret Service protection
-
Arteta concerned by Saka injuries after latest hamstring blow
-
Red Cross says number of missing people surging
-
Tuchel apologised to Bellingham over 'repulsive' blast
-
Garnacho arrives at Chelsea as £40 m move from Man Utd moves closer
-
Iran has executed at least 841 people this year: UN
-
'Sometimes I want to quit' says troubled Man Utd boss Amorim
-
German neo-Nazi heads for women's jail after gender change
-
Crystal Palace to face Dynamo Kyiv, Strasbourg in Conference League
-
Japan pledges $68 billion investment in India
-
Europa League draw throws up Forest rematch with Malmo
-
Rooney reckons 'something is broken' at Amorim's Man Utd
-
McLaren set pace in first practice at Dutch Grand Prix
-
'Money': Bayern's Kompany laments Premier League spending power
-
Alexander-Arnold dropped by England for World Cup qualifiers
-
Julia Roberts looks to 'stir it up' with cancel culture film at Venice
-
Howe vows Newcastle won't make 'poor' transfer decisions
-
Max Verstappen: fan favourite but -- for once -- not race favourite
-
Austria orders YouTube to give users access to their data
-
Labubu fans flock to stores after launch of mini dolls
-
Italy's Meloni slams photo sharing in lewd sites scandal
-
Swiss economic outlook 'dampened' by US tariffs: key barometer
-
Tukuafu returns for women's rugby world champions New Zealand against Japan
-
Israel army says Gaza City now 'a dangerous combat zone'
-
Trump son hypes bitcoin on Hong Kong leg of Asia trip
-
Paetongtarn Shinawatra: glamorous Thai PM felled by Cambodia row
-
Park Chan-wook, master of black comedy, returns to Venice

Muguruza on a mission as she sweeps into second round
Garbine Muguruza admitted she had no clue about her Australian Open opponent Tuesday, but the third seed quickly adapted to keep intact her decade-long record of never losing in the first round in Melbourne.
The Spanish world number three began her campaign for a third Grand Slam title by easing past 77th-ranked Frenchwoman Clara Burel 6-3, 6-4.
Muguruza won the French Open in 2016 and Wimbledon a year later before a drastic dip in form sent her tumbling down the rankings.
But the 28-year-old enjoyed a resurgence last year, winning titles at Chicago and Dubai before clinching the season-ending WTA Finals in November.
"I never lost the motivation," said Muguruza after carrying last season's momentum on to Rod Laver Arena. "There are always ups and downs as an athlete.
"The crowd makes a big difference when they are behind you. You feel fire and excitement, so I am so happy this year the crowd is here," said Muguruza, a finalist in Melbourne in 2020 when she was beaten in three sets by Sofia Kenin.
She came in with no knowledge of Burel's game.
"Well, it felt very good. I didn't know really who I was facing. We've never played before," she said.
"Very tricky. You're always nervous going out there on Rod Laver, which I love, and starting a Grand Slam campaign.
"I've always gone through the first round and very happy the way I played and, of course, controlling the nerves."
She got an early break in the first set to take command as Burel was dogged by poor serving and unforced errors, breaking again in the ninth game.
Burel, who fell at the first hurdle in her two previous Australian Open appearances, kept battling in front of a sparse crowd.
Muguruza dictated the points early in the second set and earned a break in the fourth game, only for the plucky Burel to break back with an overhead smash as the Spaniard served for the match.
It proved to be a short-lived fightback as Muguruza, who will next meet French veteran Alize Cornet, won the next game to clinch the match.
L.Janezki--BTB