-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
Trump halts US attacks on Yemen as Israel hits airport
President Donald Trump abruptly announced that the United States would end its attacks against Yemen's Huthis on Tuesday, saying the rebels had agreed to stop harassing ships in the Red Sea.
In surprise comments at the White House, Trump said the Iran-backed rebels had "capitulated" after the near-daily, seven-week US bombing campaign that left 300 dead, according to an AFP tally of Huthi figures.
There was no official comment from the Huthis, who have been firing missiles and drones at ships on the vital trade artery during the Israel-Hamas war, saying they are acting in solidarity with the Palestinians.
"The Huthis have announced... that they don't want to fight anymore. They just don't want to fight," Trump said during a White House press appearance with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney.
"And we will honor that, and we will stop the bombings, and they have capitulated," he added.
"They say they will not be blowing up ships anymore, and that's... the purpose of what we were doing," the US president said, adding that the information came from a "very, very good source."
Trump's comments came just hours after Israeli warplanes put rebel-held Sanaa's international airport out of action in a series of raids that killed three.
The American attacks, launched from two aircraft carriers stationed for the purpose, included strikes on the Ras Issa fuel terminal that killed 80 people on April 18, according to Huthi media.
Fifty-three died on the first night of bombing on March 15, and 68 were killed at a facility housing African migrants in Saada, the Huthis' stronghold, on April 28, the rebels said.
The Pentagon said last week that US strikes had hit more than 1,000 targets in Yemen since mid-March in an operation that has been dubbed "Rough Rider."
- 'Completely destroyed' -
Tuesday's Israeli strikes "completely destroyed" Yemen's Sanaa airport on Tuesday, an official said, and also targeted power stations and a cement factory.
"Three planes out of seven belonging to Yemenia Airlines were destroyed at Sanaa airport, and Sanaa International Airport was completely destroyed," the official said.
Israel's military said "fighter jets struck and dismantled Huthi terrorist infrastructure at the main airport in Sanaa, fully disabling the airport."
"Flight runways, aircraft and infrastructure at the airport were struck," a statement said.
The Israeli strikes, in retaliation for a Huthi missile that gouged a crater at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport on Sunday, also killed four people on Monday.
On Tuesday, plumes of thick, black smoke were seen billowing from the airport. Residents reported power cuts in Sanaa and Hodeida after the Israelis also struck three electricity stations in and around the capital.
"I was sleeping at home when 15 missiles were fired at us," said Abdallah, a 27-year-old student from Sanaa, who did not want to give his family name.
"I swear, I felt like the roof of the house had caved in. It was scary."
One person was killed at the airport and two others at a power station in Sanaa, the Huthis' Saba news agency said, citing the health ministry. Another 35 were wounded, Saba said.
- Children's 'fear and terror' -
"Our children are terrified," said Umm Abdallah, a 35-year-old Sanaa resident, after Tuesday's attacks.
"They are afraid to go to the bathroom or eat because of the strikes. I mean, they cuddled up next to me because of the fear and terror they felt."
Just before Tuesday's attacks, Israel's military urged Yemeni civilians to "immediately" evacuate the airport and "stay away from the area" in an Arabic post on X.
The Huthis promised to hit back after the attack.
The "aggression will not pass without a response and Yemen will not be discouraged from its stance in support of Gaza", the Huthi political bureau said in a statement.
Regional tensions have soared again this week over Israel's plan to expand military operations in the Gaza Strip and displace much of the besieged territory's population.
Hans Grundberg, the United Nations' special envoy for Yemen, called the exchange of strikes between Yemen and Israel "a grave escalation in an already fragile and volatile regional context."
Israel says it has targeted Yemen five times since July 2024, with Huthi authorities reporting a total of 29 people killed. Israel's army regularly intercepts missiles from Yemen.
The airport reopened to international flights in 2022 after a six-year blockade by the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Huthis. It offers a regular service to Jordan on the home-grown Yemenia airline.
G.Schmid--VB