-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
Huthis report US strikes after Israel vows revenge for airport attack
Yemen's Huthi rebels on Monday blamed Washington for around 10 strikes in and around the capital Sanaa after a missile fired by the Iran-backed group struck the area of Israel's main airport.
The Huthi-run Saba news agency said the strikes included two targeting Arbaeen street in the capital as well as one on the airport road, blaming them on "American aggression".
The rebels' health ministry said 14 people were wounded in the Sawan neighbourhood, according to Saba.
The Huthis, who control swathes of Yemen, have launched missiles and drones targeting Israel and Red Sea shipping throughout the Gaza war, saying they act in solidarity with Palestinians.
The missile fired from Yemen by the Huthis landed near the main terminal of Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport on Sunday, wounding six people.
The military confirmed that the attack, which gouged a large crater in the perimeter of the airport, had struck despite "several attempts... to intercept the missile".
In a video published on Telegram, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had in the past "acted against" the Iran-backed rebels and "will act in the future".
"It will not happen in one bang, but there will be many bangs," he added, without elaborating.
Later on X, Netanyahu said Israel would also respond to Iran at "a time and place of our choosing".
Several international airlines suspended flights to Israel following the attack, and hours later the Huthis promised more such strikes and warned airlines to cancel their flights to Israeli airports.
A police video showed officers standing on the edge of a deep hole in the ground with a control tower visible behind them. No damage was reported to airport infrastructure.
An AFP photographer said the missile hit near the parking lots of Terminal 3, the airport's largest.
- 'Hit them' -
"You can see the area just behind us: a crater was formed here, several dozen metres wide and several dozen metres deep," central Israel's police chief, Yair Hezroni, said in the video.
"This is the first time" that a missile has directly struck inside the airport perimeter, an Israeli military spokesperson told AFP.
The Huthis claimed responsibility for the attack, saying their forces "carried out a military operation targeting Ben Gurion airport" with a "hypersonic ballistic missile".
In a later statement, the group's military spokesperson Yayha Saree said they would target Israeli airports, "particularly the one in Lod, called Ben Gurion", near Tel Aviv. He called on airlines to cancel flights to Israeli airports.
An AFP journalist inside the airport during the attack said he heard a "loud bang" at around 9:35 am (0635 GMT), adding that the "reverberation was very strong".
"Security staff immediately asked hundreds of passengers to take shelter, some in bunkers," the AFP journalist said.
- 'Panic' -
One passenger said the attack, which came shortly after air raid sirens sounded across parts of Israel, caused "panic".
"It is crazy to say but since October 7 we are used to this," said the 50-year-old, who did not want to be named, referring to the 2023 Hamas attack on Israel that sparked the Gaza war.
Flights resumed after being halted briefly, with the aviation authority saying Ben Gurion was now "open and operational".
Soon after a government official said Israel's security cabinet was to meet on Sunday, army chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir confirmed media reports of a planned expansion of the Gaza war.
The army would destroy all Hamas infrastructure, "both on the surface and underground", he added.
The Huthis, who control swathes of Yemen, have launched missiles and drones targeting Israel and Red Sea shipping throughout the Gaza war.
US strikes on the rebels began under former president Joe Biden, but have intensified under his successor Donald Trump.
Israel resumed major operations across Gaza on March 18 amid a deadlock over how to proceed with a two-month ceasefire that had largely stopped the war.
M.Schneider--VB