-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
Trump signs executive order to cut NPR, PBS public funding
US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Thursday to cut public funding for NPR and PBS, accusing the news outlets of being biased in his latest attack on traditional media.
Trump has long had an antagonistic relationship with most mainstream news media, previously describing them as the "enemy of the people."
A notable exception is the powerful conservative broadcaster Fox News, some of whose hosts have taken on major roles in his administration.
National Public Radio (NPR) and the Public Broadcasting Service (CBS) are only partly funded by US taxpayers through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and rely heavily on private donations.
Trump in his executive order instructed the CPB Board of Directors and all executive departments and agencies "to cease Federal funding" for NPR and CBS.
He added that "neither entity presents a fair, accurate, or unbiased portrayal of current events to taxpaying citizens."
The CPB budget has already been approved by Congress through 2027, which raises questions about the scope of Trump's order.
Politico magazine described the order as "the White House’s biggest escalation yet in its assault on the media" and said it would likely be challenged in court.
- 'Subsidization of Biased Media' -
The White House published on Thursday a fact sheet titled "President Donald J. Trump Ends the Taxpayer Subsidization of Biased Media."
It said that NPR and PBS "have fueled partisanship and left-wing propaganda with taxpayer dollars, which is highly inappropriate and an improper use of taxpayers’ money."
To support this accusation, the document listed a number of claims about the two media outlets, which it said receive "tens of millions of dollars in taxpayer funds each year."
For example, that "over a six-month period, PBS News Hour used versions of the term 'far-right' 162 times, but 'far-left' only 6 times," the White House said.
It cited research -- from an unnamed source -- that showed that congressional Republicans have received far more negative media coverage than Democrats.
The fact sheet also listed an NPR feature about "queer animals," and on PBS the appearance of a "drag queen" on a kid's show and a movie "which celebrates a transgender teen's transition."
PBS and NPR were not immediately available for comment.
- Press freedom -
More than 40 million Americans listen to NPR public radio each week, and 36 million watch a local television station from the PBS network each month, according to their estimates.
NPR director Katherine Maher estimated in March that the radio station would receive about $120 million from the CPB in 2025, "less than five percent of its budget."
Media rights group RSF warned Friday about "an alarming deterioration in press freedom" in the United States and "unprecedented" difficulties for independent journalists around the world.
In February, the Oval Office stripped the White House Correspondents' Association of the nearly century-old power to decide which of them cover US presidential events, with Trump saying that he was now "calling the shots" on media access.
It also banned reporters from the Associated Press, the top US news agency, from the Oval Office and travelling on Air Force One.
This was because the AP continues to refer to the Gulf of Mexico, an international body of water, and not simply the "Gulf of America" as decreed by Trump.
The Trump administration has also begun to dismantle America's publicly-funded "voices" abroad, including Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Radio Free Asia and "Voice of America."
S.Leonhard--VB