-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Sudan marks two years of war with no end in sight
Sudan on Tuesday marked two years of a war that has killed tens of thousands, displaced 13 million and triggered the world's worst humanitarian crisis -- with no signs of peace.
Fighting erupted on April 15, 2023 between the army, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, headed by his former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo.
Khartoum quickly became a battleground. Bodies lined the streets. Hundreds of thousands fled. Those left behind struggled to survive.
"I've lost half my bodyweight," said 52-year-old Abdel Rafi Hussein, who lived under RSF control in the capital until the army retook it last month.
"We're safe (now), but still, we suffer from a lack of water and electricity and most hospitals aren't working."
The army's recapture of Khartoum marked a turnaround after more than a year of setbacks.
Many civilians celebrated what they called the "liberation" from the RSF, which stands accused of genocide, looting and sexual violence.
But the RSF is pushing deeper into famine-hit Darfur, aiming to seize El-Fasher -- the last state capital in the vast western region still under army control.
- 'Catastrophic consequences' -
In London on Tuesday, international officials were meeting to "agree a pathway to end the suffering", said British Foreign Secretary David Lammy.
But neither warring side was attending.
"Instability must not spread -- it drives migration from Sudan and the wider region, and a safe and stable Sudan is vital for our national security," said Lammy.
UN refugee chief Filippo Grandi said Sudan had faced "indifference from the outside world".
"The Sudanese are besieged on all sides -- war, widespread abuses, indignity, hunger and other hardships," he said, warning that "continuing to look away will have catastrophic consequences".
On the eve of the anniversary, UN chief Antonio Guterres said civilians "continue to bear the brunt" of the war.
Exact death tolls are unknown due to the collapse of the health system, but former US envoy Tom Perriello cited estimates of up to 150,000 dead.
Both sides have been accused of targeting civilians, shelling homes and blocking aid.
Some 25 million people face acute food insecurity, and eight million are on the brink of famine.
- Flow of weapons -
The United Nations says 2,776 children were killed or maimed in 2023 and 2024 -- up from 150 in 2022 -- and the real toll is likely higher.
The war has "shattered the lives of millions of children across Sudan," said Catherine Russell, executive director of UNICEF.
Zamzam displacement camp in Darfur, sheltering to up to a million people, has suffered famine since last year and was hit again last week, with at least 400 killed in an RSF assault, according to the United Nations.
El-Fasher is the only Darfur state capital the RSF has not taken. Control of it would cement its grip on the vast western region.
Experts say the RSF is now focused on securing border zones and supply lines, deepening Sudan's the de facto partition.
The army controls the north and east. The RSF holds nearly all of Darfur and, with its allies, parts of the south.
On Monday, Guterres called for an end to "the external support and flow of weapons" fuelling the war.
"Those with greatest influence on the parties must use it to better the lives of people in Sudan -- not to perpetuate this disaster," he said, without naming any countries.
Sudan has accused the United Arab Emirates of supporting the paramilitary forces with arms shipments. Those fighters and the Gulf state deny the charges.
burs-bha/dv
E.Burkhard--VB