-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Russia says deadly Sumy strike hit army meeting
Russia said Monday that its missiles hit a meeting of Ukrainian army commanders in Sumy, accusing Ukraine of using civilians as a "human shield" after Kyiv said the attack Sunday killed at least 34 people in one of the deadliest strikes of the entire war.
Russia's attack drew condemnation and accusations of "war crimes" from leaders around the world, though US President Donald Trump -- who is pushing for a ceasefire -- called it a "horrible thing" and suggested Russia had "made a mistake".
Commenting on the strike for the first time after more than 24 hours, Russia's defence ministry said its army launched two ballistic Iskander-M missiles at "the place of a meeting of command staff", claiming that it had killed 60 Ukrainian soldiers.
The Kremlin rejected that its army had targeted civilians or that there had been any kind of "mistake".
"Our army hits only military and military-related targets," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters when asked about the strike and Trump's comments.
Russia's defence ministry appeared to concede there were civilian casualties, but placed the blame on Ukraine.
"The Kyiv regime continues to use the Ukrainian population as a human shield, placing military facilities and holding events with the participation of soldiers in the centre of a densely populated city," the ministry said.
Russia has made similar accusations since it invaded Ukraine in February 2022.
There is widespread evidence that Russia's missiles and drones have slammed into apartment blocks, hospitals, schools, train stations and other civilian areas in the three-year war.
Even conservative independent estimates say thousands of civilians, including hundreds of children, have been killed in the conflict.
"Only completely deranged scum can do something like this," Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Sunday after the strikes on Sumy.
- 'War crime' -
Ukraine's emergency services said the attack killed 34 people, including two children.
One witness told AFP she heard the two explosions.
"A lot of people were very badly injured. A lot of corpses," she said, struggling to speak.
People ran for cover amid burning cars and the dead were seen covered in silver sheets at the scene, where rescuers worked through the rubble of a building near a destroyed trolleybus.
Kyiv said the attacks showed that Russia had no intention of halting its invasion, after Russian President Vladimir Putin last month rejected a US call for a full and unconditional ceasefire.
The strike on Sumy came less than 48 hours after Trump's envoy Steve Witkoff held talks with Putin in Saint Petersburg.
The Kremlin on Monday called the meeting "extremely helpful and very effective", without elaborating on the discussions.
Ukraine's European allies meanwhile have condemned the Russian attack on Sumy.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said he was "appalled", and his Italian counterpart Giorgia Meloni called it a "cowardly" act by Russia.
France's foreign ministry said Monday that the attack -- along with one a week earlier that killed nine children and nine adults in Kryvyi Rig -- constituted "war crimes".
Germany's chancellor-in-waiting Friedrich Merz on Sunday described the attack as "a serious war crime, deliberate and intended".
- 'Further escalation' -
The Kremlin on Monday criticised Merz for saying he was open to supplying Ukraine with Taurus missiles.
"He is agitating on the side of toughening his position and in favour of various steps that can -- and will -- inevitably lead to a further escalation of the Ukraine situation," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
"Unfortunately, European capitals are really not inclined to look for ways of reaching peace talks, they are rather inclined to further provoke the continuation of the war," Peskov added.
Separate Russian strikes on the northeastern region of Kharkiv killed four elderly residents, local officials said Monday.
Moscow has stepped up its pressure on the regions of Sumy and Kharkiv this year, and Ukraine's army leaders have warned of a fresh offensive in the area.
Russia has pushed Ukraine out of all but 50 square kilometres of its western Kursk region, which borders Ukraine's Sumy region, according to an AFP analysis of Institute for the Study of War data.
Moscow's army has also captured several border settlements and controls around 95 square kilometres in the Sumy region -- up from virtually nothing at the start of 2025.
C.Bruderer--VB