-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
Talks with Trump a necessity for sanctions-hit Iran
US President Donald Trump appeared to catch Tehran off guard on Monday when he announced "direct talks" between the arch-foes over Iran's nuclear programme, having previously threatened to bomb the Islamic republic.
Despite previously having expressed major reservations over the talks, Tehran has agreed to participate but through an intermediary.
- What does Iran want? -
The priority for the Islamic republic is the lifting of biting sanctions that have placed a stranglehold on the energy-rich country's economy for decades.
In 2015, a landmark deal was reached between Iran and major powers including the United States, offering sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on Iran's nuclear programme.
The deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JPCOA), also provided for the eventual return of Western investments into Iran.
At the time, Iranians were hopeful that the deal would reflect in improvements in their economic conditions and end their country's isolation.
But that hope was short lived as in 2018, during Trump's first term in office, Washington unilaterally pulled out of the deal and reinstated sanctions.
Ever since, the value of the Iranian rial has plummeted against the dollar, fuelling high inflation and unemployment and leaving much of the population impoverished.
"If Iran manages to break the chains of the sanctions, it can achieve a considerable economic resurgence," economist Fayyaz Zahed told AFP.
In addition to some of the highest oil and gas reserves in the world, Iran also enjoys unique geography and has great potential to build its tourism industry and develop infrastructure.
Its 86 million people also represent a large untapped market, a predominantly young and educated urbanised population with an average age of just 32.
- Why talk now? -
Alongside its economic challenges, Iran has been dealt major blows through the weakening of its network of proxies in the region in the aftermath of the Gaza war that began in October 2023.
Lebanese group Hezbollah -- a key bulwark in Iran's so-called axis of resistance against Israel and the United States -- emerged massively weakened from a war last year with Israel, having lost much of its leadership structure.
In Syria, a Sunni Islamist-led offensive toppled Tehran's longtime ally Bashar al-Assad in December, and the Iran-backed Huthi rebels in Yemen have been under heavy US bombardment in recent weeks.
"Iran no longer has any effective cards and is suffering the consequences" of upheavals in the region, Zahed said.
Iran and Israel exchanged direct strikes twice last year for the first time in their history.
- What is Iran's strategy? -
"Iran is prepared to accept the same technical conditions" that were in place for the 2015 deal, Zahed said.
Tehran has long maintained its right to develop its nuclear capabilities for civil purposes, particularly energy.
Western governments however accuse Iran of seeking to develop a weaponss capability, an ambition it vigorously denies.
"On the other hand, the country will show no flexibility regarding its missiles," Zahed warned.
The Trump administration argued that its withdrawal from the JPCOA in 2018 was motivated by the absence of controls for Iran's ballistic missile programme, viewed as a threat by Washington and its ally Israel.
In February, supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei vowed there would be "no negotiations" with the Trump administration, pointing to previous deals with US leaders that were not honoured.
In March, Trump sent a letter to the Iranian leader, calling for talks but also threatening to bomb Iran in the event that diplomacy failed.
Iran responded that it would not negotiate under pressure.
Trump's announcement that "direct" talks would take place in Oman on Saturday appeared to take Iran by surprise.
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi only confirmed the talks in a post on X in the middle of the night, however insisting that Iran would not speak directly with the Americans.
According to US news website Axios, Trump has given Iran two months to reach a deal.
Trump "broke the nuclear deal once", wrote reformist Hossein Nouraninejad in the government daily Iran, adding that "there are many historical differences between the two countries", which have not had diplomatic relations since 1980.
However, direct talks between Trump and Khamenei seem "more likely than war", wrote Ali Shakourirad, a politician close to Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, in the newspaper Etemad.
C.Bruderer--VB