-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
US Supreme Court pauses order for return of Salvadoran deported in error
The US Supreme Court on Monday paused a lower court order demanding that the Trump administration repatriate a Salvadoran migrant who was wrongfully deported last month.
Kilmar Abrego Garcia, 29, who was living in the eastern state of Maryland, was among more than 200 people sent to a notorious prison in El Salvador last month as part of Republican President Donald Trump's crackdown on undocumented migrants.
US District Judge Paula Xinis ordered Friday that Abrego Garcia be returned to the United States by 11:59 pm on Monday after Justice Department lawyers admitted he was deported due to an "administrative error."
A federal appeals court unanimously upheld the decision with Judge Harvie Wilkinson, an appointee of former Republican president Ronald Reagan, writing: "There is no question that the government screwed up here.
"The facts of this case thus present the potential for a disturbing loophole: namely that the government could whisk individuals to foreign prisons in violation of court orders and then contend... it is no longer their custodian, and there is nothing that can be done," he said.
"It takes no small amount of imagination to understand that this is a path of perfect lawlessness, one that courts cannot condone," Wilkinson said.
The Trump administration appealed to the conservative-dominated Supreme Court, which issued a stay of the district judge's repatriation order pending further consideration of the case.
Chief Justice John Roberts asked attorneys for Abrego Garcia to submit arguments by 5:00 pm (2100 GMT) on Tuesday.
The Trump administration, in asking the Supreme Court to overturn the lower court's order, called it "unprecedented and indefensible" and a "demand that the United States let a member of a foreign terrorist organization into America tonight."
The White House has insisted that Abrego Garcia, who is married to a US citizen, is a member of the Salvadoran gang MS-13 -- though Judge Xinis dismissed this claim as lacking evidence.
- Alien Enemies Act -
Abrego Garcia had been living in the United States under protected legal status since 2019, when a judge ruled he should not be deported because he could be harmed in El Salvador.
The Trump administration conceded again in its Supreme Court application that Abrego Garcia's deportation to El Salvador was an error, but added he could still be removed "anywhere else in the world."
Three planeloads of undocumented migrants were flown from the United States to El Salvador on March 15.
The Trump administration has alleged that most of the deportees belonged to the Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua, but some attorneys have said their clients were not gang members, had committed no crimes and were targeted largely because of their tattoos.
Trump invoked the little-known 1798 Alien Enemies Act to justify their summary removal.
Another district judge, James Boasberg, has barred the Trump administration from carrying out further deportations under the Alien Enemies Act, which has only been used previously during the War of 1812, World War I and World War II.
The Trump administration has appealed Boasberg's order to the Supreme Court, asking it to allow deportation flights under the Alien Enemies Act to resume.
In its appeal to the Supreme Court, which includes three justices nominated by Trump, acting Solicitor General Sarah Harris said the case is a key test of presidential authority over the courts.
"This case presents fundamental questions about who decides how to conduct sensitive national-security-related operations in this country" -- the president or judges, Harris said. "The Constitution supplies a clear answer: the President."
S.Leonhard--VB