-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
Facing Trump's trade war, EU seeks to quell divisions
EU states Monday rallied behind a push to avert an all-out trade war through negotiations with US President Donald Trump's administration -- although divisions flared on reaching for a trade "bazooka" should they fail.
The mood was sombre at talks in Luxembourg as stocks and oil prices sank further on what EU trade commissioner Maros Sefcovic called a "black day" for global markets.
Sefcovic starkly described how markets were reacting to "most important paradigm shift in global trading patterns since the Second World War."
At their first talks since Trump ordered 20 percent tariffs on the bloc's imports last week, the trade ministers all agreed that Brussels must seek to avoid an all-out trade war through negotiations.
But Sefcovic, who has been holding talks with Washington on the bloc's behalf, also warned that "engaging the US will take both time and effort".
Faced with a US effort to "transform the global trading system" through tariffs, he suggested the EU could put remedies on the table but they may not be accepted by Trump.
EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said the bloc had offered the United States a bilateral tariff exemption for cars and other industrial goods, to which Washington has not responded.
- Need for 'de-escalation' -
If talks fail however, the EU is willing to deploy "every tool in our trade defence arsenal to protect itself, Sefcovic warned.
There is a lot at stake. He said Trump's tariffs including those on steel, aluminium and cars meant 380 billion euros ($415 billion) worth of EU exports -- some 70 percent -- to the United States face levies of 20 percent or more.
Ministers hoped to narrow their differences over what that response could entail.
The idea of targeting American tech titans such as Microsoft, Amazon, Google, and Meta has been raised but there is scant detail on exactly how the EU would do so.
Backed by Germany and Austria, France has been pushing to target US services, including digital -- drawing fire from Ireland which relies heavily on US investment, particularly in the pharmaceutical and tech sectors.
The idea is not popular with Baltic states, heavily dependent on Washington for security.
Targeting services "would be an extraordinary escalation at a time when we must be working for de-escalation", Irish Trade Minister Simon Harris told reporters.
France and Germany have, however, said the EU must be ready to respond firmly, with French Trade Minister Laurent Saint-Martin saying the bloc should "not exclude any option".
Europe had at its disposal tools which are "very comprehensive and can also be extremely aggressive", he said.
He referred specifically to a new trade weapon -- nicknamed a "bazooka" but formally called the anti-coercion instrument -- which punishes any country using economic threats to exert pressure on the EU once diplomacy fails.
The tool gives the EU greater powers including restricting US companies from public tenders and limiting trade on services.
Germany has also said the EU should be prepared to use it.
- 'No idea' -
The ministers also discussed EU-China trade relations, which will require careful handling as Brussels fears US tariffs will cause Chinese goods to flood into the bloc, but also wants to avoid further tensions with Beijing.
Sefcovic said his visit to China last month was "clearly guided by the fact that we need to re-engage" with Beijing, but that it did not mean irritants in bilateral trading had disappeared because of the US tariffs.
As he pushed for negotiations with the United States and trade deals with others, EU diplomats privately expressed little hope for a positive outcome with Trump.
"I don't know how you can negotiate out of this," one diplomat said.
"But what are the politicians supposed to say? 'Prepare for the crash?' I mean they have no idea what to do."
S.Gantenbein--VB