-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
Israel PM vows to 'take control of all' of Gaza
Israel said Monday it would "take control" of the whole of Gaza as it intensified attacks across the territory, where aid trickled in for the first time in over two months after the easing of a total blockade.
With supply shipments blocked by Israel since March 2, the World Health Organization warned Gaza's "two million people are starving".
Israel, facing mounting criticism over the humanitarian crisis, announced it would let limited aid into Gaza and said the first five trucks entered Monday carrying supplies "including food for babies".
UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said in a statement that nine trucks had been "cleared to enter... but it is a drop in the ocean of what is urgently needed".
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric, who was unable to confirm the number of trucks inside Gaza, said that "none of the aid has been picked up" at a designated zone as it was "already dark" and due to "security concerns, we cannot operate in those conditions".
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said aid had resumed because "images of mass starvation" could harm the legitimacy of Israel's war effort.
The leaders of Britain, France and Canada issued a harsh condemnation of Israel's conduct of the war, slamming its "egregious actions" in Gaza, particularly the expanded offensive and the "wholly inadequate" resumption of aid.
They warned of "concrete actions" if Israel did not ease its stepped up offensive. Netanyahu called their joint statement a "huge prize" for Hamas.
A group of 22 countries, including France, Britain, Canada, Japan and Australia said in a joint statement that Gaza's population "faces starvation" and "must receive the aid they desperately need".
- 'Methodical destruction' -
In southern Gaza, the Israeli military issued an evacuation call to Palestinians around Khan Yunis city ahead of what it described as an "unprecedented attack".
Gaza's civil defence agency said 91 people were killed in Israeli attacks across the territory on Monday.
Netanyahu, in a video posted on Telegram, said that "the fighting is intense and we are making progress".
"We will take control of all the territory of the strip," he added.
Israel's military said on Monday it had struck "160 terror targets" in Gaza over the past day.
Netanyahu said that Israel "will not give up. But in order to succeed, we must act in a way that cannot be stopped", justifying to his hardline supporters the decision to resume aid.
- Famine risk -
Israel has said its blockade aimed to force concessions from Hamas -- whose October 2023 attack triggered the war -- but UN agencies say there are critical shortages of food, clean water, fuel and medicines.
"Tonnes of food is blocked at the border, just minutes away," World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
"The risk of famine in Gaza is increasing with the deliberate withholding of humanitarian aid."
Last week US President Donald Trump, a key ally of Netanyahu, acknowledged that "a lot of people are starving".
Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir argued against any resumption of aid, saying on X that "our hostages receive no humanitarian aid".
But Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, also of the far right, defended the decision, saying it would "allow civilians to eat and our friends in the world to keep giving us diplomatic protection".
- 'Like apocalypse' -
Khan Yunis resident Mohammed Sarhan told AFP that Gaza's main southern city "felt like the apocalypse".
"There was gunfire coming from every apartment, fire belts, F-16 warplanes and helicopters firing," he said.
Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee called on Gazans in the city and nearby areas to "immediately" leave the "dangerous combat zone".
AFPTV footage from Khan Yunis's Nasser Hospital showed a young boy in a tracksuit being treated as two other boys, both barefoot and bleeding, sat on the floor.
Further north in Deir el-Balah, Ayman Badwan mourned the loss of his brother in an attack.
"We are exhausted and drained -- we can't take it anymore," he told AFP.
Militants also took 251 hostages, 57 of whom remain in Gaza including 34 the military says are dead.
Gaza's health ministry said Monday at least 3,340 people have been killed since Israel resumed strikes on March 18, taking the war's overall toll to 53,486.
With negotiators meeting in Qatar in recent days, Netanyahu has signalled that Israel was open to a deal that would include "ending the fighting", with all hostages released, Hamas leaders exiled and Gaza disarmed.
F.Fehr--VB