-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
EU threatens to target US cars, planes if Trump tariff talks fail
The EU on Thursday threatened to target US cars and planes among a raft of products worth 95 billion euros ($107 billion) if negotiations with President Donald Trump's team fail to avert a trade war.
The European Commission said it would, in parallel, file a complaint with the World Trade Organization (WTO) over Trump's imposition of swingeing tariffs against the bloc.
The US leader announced a 20-percent "reciprocal" tariff on most EU goods in April, but he then froze the measure until July, along with higher duties on dozens of other nations.
Trump, however, maintained a "baseline" 10 percent tariff on imports from around the world, including the 27-nation European Union.
The EU wants to strike a deal with the United States to prevent an all-out trade war, but is preparing its retaliation should Trump's tariffs kick in again.
EU chief Ursula von der Leyen reiterated the bloc's determination to reach a negotiated solution and avoid painful tariffs on both sides.
"The EU remains fully committed to finding negotiated outcomes with the US. We believe there are good deals to be made for the benefit of consumers and businesses on both sides of the Atlantic," she said.
Trump has also rolled out 25-percent tariffs on imports of steel, aluminium and cars.
Brussels cooked up a first list of products to target worth 21 billion euros in response to the steel and aluminium duties, but it has paused those retaliatory tariffs until July 14 to give time for negotiations.
The much larger list unveiled on Thursday -- the bloc's proposed response to Trump's so-called "reciprocal tariffs" -- is designed to up the pressure on the US side to reach a deal.
There will be some hope of an agreement after Trump on Thursday announced a deal with Britain on trade, which would be the first such accord since he launched his tariffs blitz.
- From hair to bourbon -
In a 218-page document, the EU listed all the products it could target including US-made aircraft, cars, human hair, nuts and fruit, plastics, chemicals and electrical equipment.
The list also included bourbon whiskey -- which had been removed from the first set of retaliatory measures in a bid to shield European wine and spirits from threatened reprisals.
Planes and autos make up some of the largest value of goods on the list, worth 10.5 billion euros and more than 12 billion euros respectively, a senior EU official said.
Plastics and chemicals worth 12.9 billion euros also feature.
The EU has insisted that if Trump does not back down, it is prepared to take more extreme measures, including targeting US Big Tech.
"All options remain on the table," the senior official said.
Trump's April 2 announcement of "reciprocal tariffs" on dozens of countries -- including China and traditional allies such as the EU -- sent global markets into a panic, before he declared a 90-day pause for negotiations.
Senior EU officials have since visited Washington for talks, with little so far to show for their efforts.
In parallel, the EU said it would "soon" launch a WTO dispute over the auto tariffs and the 20-percent duties.
"It is the unequivocal view of the EU that these tariffs blatantly violate fundamental WTO rules," it said.
EU trade chief Maros Sefcovic told the European Parliament this week that 70 percent of the bloc's total exports face levies at rates between 10 and 25 percent.
He warned that with US trade probes underway into a raft of sectors, from pharmaceuticals to lumber, "around 549 billion euros of EU exports to the US, i.e. 97 percent of the total" could eventually face tariffs.
F.Wagner--VB