-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Trump announces trade agreement with UK
US President Donald Trump announced Thursday an agreement with Britain on trade, which would be the first such deal since he launched his global tariffs blitz.
Trump provided no details about the scope of the agreement, which comes a month after he imposed sweeping tariffs on US trading partners on his April 2 "Liberation Day".
"The agreement with the United Kingdom is a full and comprehensive one that will cement the relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom for many years to come," the president posted on his Truth Social platform.
"Because of our long time history and allegiance together, it is a great honor to have the United Kingdom as our FIRST announcement. Many other deals, which are in serious stages of negotiation, to follow!"
Trump is set to speak further about the agreement at a news conference in the White House scheduled for 10:00 am (1400 GMT).
The Wall Street Journal described it as a "framework" agreement, suggesting it was far from a comprehensive free trade deal sought by the UK following its departure from the European Union.
- 'National interest' -
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer is also set to give an update on the matter Thursday.
"Talks with the US have been ongoing and you'll hear more from me about that later today," he told a London conference on defence.
"But make no mistake, I will always act in our national interest, for workers, businesses and families, to deliver security and renewal for our country," the PM added.
The Labour leader, who like Trump won power last year, had pushed for a trade deal before the president unleashed his tariffs blitz on Britain and countries worldwide.
The president slapped 10 percent tariffs on imports from around the world, including Britain, but he temporarily froze higher duties on dozens of nations to allow for negotiations.
Trump described Starmer as a tough negotiator following the latter's visit to Washington in February.
Reaching a post-Brexit agreement with the United States has been the Holy Grail for Britain since it exited the European Union at the start of the decade.
London is keen to achieve some type of accord with Washington ahead of a EU-UK summit on May 19 due to reset ties with the 27-nation bloc.
A US-UK deal could prove problematic for the EU, which is struggling to reach an acceptable trade deal of its own with the United States.
Britain this week struck a free-trade agreement with India, its biggest such deal since leaving the EU, after negotiations relaunched in February following US tariff threats.
The EU remains Britain's biggest trading partner, while the United States is the UK's single largest country trading partner.
- Details of deal? -
Trump has for weeks claimed that countries are lining up to strike trade agreements with the US.
Reports have suggested that Washington may reduce certain tariffs on British products in exchange for relief from the UK's digital services tax paid by US tech giants.
London did not retaliate against the Trump's 10-percent tariff imposed on UK imports, nor to the higher 25-percent levies for steel, aluminium and the automotive sector.
"Any deal with the US is likely to be damage limitation rather than an economic boost," Jonathan Portes, professor of economics at King's College London, told AFP.
"It is likely to limit the Trump tariffs, but ... exporters will probably still be facing higher tariffs overall than they were last year."
Deutsche Bank analyst Jim Reid said "given that full trade deals take years to negotiate, this will likely be a framework and it will be interesting to see whether the 10-percent baseline tariff stays as that will provide an important template for negotiations with other countries".
Sky News reported that London has agreed concessions on food and agriculture imports with Washington in exchange for easing export tariffs on the automotive industry.
The Financial Times added that London has sought to avert possible future US tariffs on major industries including pharmaceuticals and aerospace.
The film industry -- a key UK export for the services sector -- is also in Trump's sights.
The Bank of England cut its interest rate by a quarter point to 4.25 percent on Thursday as the tariffs threaten to weaken global economic growth.
burs-bcp/jkb/lth
W.Huber--VB