-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
Trump axes NSA Waltz after chat group scandal
US President Donald Trump on Thursday replaced his national security advisor Mike Waltz following a scandal over a chat group leak, saying he would appoint him as ambassador to the United Nations instead.
In the first major cabinet shake-up of Trump's new term, the president said Secretary of State Marco Rubio would now also serve as his interim national security advisor following Waltz's departure.
"From his time in uniform on the battlefield, in Congress and, as my National Security Advisor, Mike Waltz has worked hard to put our Nation's Interests first," Trump said on Truth Social as he announced the move.
But the 51-year-old former special forces officer and Florida congressman had been living on borrowed time since the so-called "Signalgate" scandal broke in March.
The editor-in-chief of The Atlantic magazine revealed at the time that Waltz had mistakenly added him to a group chat about US strikes on Yemen's Huthi rebels on the commercial messaging app Signal.
"I'm deeply honored to continue my service to President Trump and our great nation," Waltz said in a post on X.
Trump had repeatedly offered his backing in public but behind the scenes Waltz was losing his confidence over Signalgate, while there were also tensions with other officials due to his hawkish stance on Russia and Iran.
His stance was increasingly at odds with Trump's pivot towards Moscow as Washington pushed for Ukraine to reach a quick ceasefire deal, and as Trump reopened negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program.
In the end, however, the 51-year-old former congressman from Florida lasted just over 100 days of Trump's second term, which has so far been more stable in terms of personnel than his first.
Democrats will now turn up the heat on Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who revealed timings that US warplanes would take off to bomb targets in the same Signal chat.
Hegseth was also reported to have shared those details in a separate Signal group chain that included his wife.
"Now do Hegseth," top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer posted on X.
- 'SCALP' -
Trump has so far stood by Hegseth, a former Fox News contributor who has had a rocky first few months at the Pentagon, dismissing the Signal scandal as a "witch hunt."
Waltz's new role will also require Senate confirmation, ensuring that Signalgate will stay in the headlines.
There was no immediate confirmation of US media reports that Waltz's deputy, Alex Wong, would also leave the National Security Council.
US media had reported that Steve Witkoff, a real estate magnate whom Trump has picked to lead US talks with both Russia and Iran, is in contention to replace Waltz in the longer term.
Waltz was among a number of White House staff targeted by right-wing influencer and conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer, who met with Trump to urge a purge.
Loomer, who is known for claiming that the September 11, 2001, attacks were an inside job, is reported to have successfully pushed for the dismissal of several senior US security officials she deemed disloyal to the president.
After news of Waltz's ouster was reported Thursday, Loomer appeared to take credit in a post on X, saying: "SCALP."
Waltz showed no sign that he knew of his imminent departure when appearing early Wednesday on Fox News, where he hailed the new US minerals deal with Ukraine.
Waltz was also present at Trump's televised cabinet meeting on Wednesday, where he and other senior officials lavished praise on the president.
The National Security Advisor's role has been held in the past by some of the most high-profile officials in US history, including Henry Kissinger.
E.Burkhard--VB