-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
13 million displaced as Sudan war enters third year: UN
Sudan's civil war has displaced 13 million people, the United Nations reported Monday, as the conflict between the army and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces enters a third year.
"The conflict has provoked the displacement of 13 million people, including 8.6 internally displaced people and 3.8 million refugees," said Abdourahouf Gnon-Konde of the UN refugee agency in an interview with AFP.
The war, which erupted on April 15, 2023, has left tens of thousands dead, pushed parts of Sudan into famine and fractured the country into warlord-run territories.
On the eve of the war's second anniversary, nowhere are the stakes more evident than in Darfur, where the RSF launched a new offensive last week to capture El-Fasher -- the last major city in the vast western region still under army control.
The assault began Thursday and raged until Sunday morning, targeting El-Fasher and nearby displacement camps, including Zamzam and Abou Shouk both of which have been struck by famine.
The UN, citing "credible sources", said more than 400 people have been killed in the latest violence.
By Sunday, RSF forces claimed control over Zamzam. Since then, around 400,000 people have been displaced from the camp, the UN's International Organization for Migration said.
Doctors Without Borders said about 10,000 people fled to Tawila, nearly 70 kilometres (43 miles) west of El-Fasher, within 48 hours to escape shelling.
The civilians, mostly women and children, arrived "in an advanced state of dehydration and exhaustion and reporting horrific violence", said the international medical charity.
- 'Relentless nightmare' -
The RSF stepped up its attacks on El-Fasher shortly after the army regained control of Khartoum, about 1,000 kilometres to the east, last month.
The war has effectively divided Sudan in two, with the army holding the north and east while the RSF controls much of Darfur and, with its allies, parts of the south.
Germany's foreign minister, Annalena Baerbock, described the conflict as "the greatest humanitarian catastrophe of our time," highlighting the widespread destruction, starvation and sexual violence.
"Entire regions have been destroyed, hundreds of thousands of families are fleeing, millions of people are starving, and women and children are being subjected to the most horrific sexual violence," she added.
Baerbock's remarks came ahead of an international conference in London on Tuesday to discuss the war's devastating impact.
Mirjana Spoljaric, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said civilians in Sudan were "trapped in a relentless nightmare of death and destruction" after two years of war.
The UN Fact-Finding Mission warned "the darkest chapters of this conflict have yet to unfold", amid rising ethnic violence and reprisals across the country.
"As Sudan enters into its third year of conflict, we must reflect on the catastrophic situation in Sudan and honour the lives of all Sudanese who have been lost or changed forever," said Mohamed Chande Othman, the mission's chair.
D.Bachmann--VB