
-
US banana giant Chiquita returns to Panama
-
Martin says Rangers remain supportive despite woeful start
-
Stocks slide as US inflation clouds rates outlook
-
Smog then floods: Pakistani families 'can't catch a break'
-
US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
-
Ayuso triumphs in Vuelta stage seven, Traen keeps red jersey
-
Goalkeepers still posing problems for Man City boss Guardiola
-
Turkey bars Israeli ships, flights from its territory
-
Forest boss Nuno plans Marinakis talks after transfer issues
-
Putin will have 'played' Trump if he refuses to meet Zelensky: Macron
-
Norris sets early pace at Dutch Grand Prix practice
-
Bargell tackles medical challenge and starts for US at Women's Rugby World Cup
-
Vardy in talks to sign for Serie A outfit Cremonese: source
-
Trump withdraws Kamala Harris's Secret Service protection
-
Arteta concerned by Saka injuries after latest hamstring blow
-
Red Cross says number of missing people surging
-
Tuchel apologised to Bellingham over 'repulsive' blast
-
Garnacho arrives at Chelsea as £40 m move from Man Utd moves closer
-
Iran has executed at least 841 people this year: UN
-
'Sometimes I want to quit' says troubled Man Utd boss Amorim
-
German neo-Nazi heads for women's jail after gender change
-
Crystal Palace to face Dynamo Kyiv, Strasbourg in Conference League
-
Japan pledges $68 billion investment in India
-
Europa League draw throws up Forest rematch with Malmo
-
Rooney reckons 'something is broken' at Amorim's Man Utd
-
McLaren set pace in first practice at Dutch Grand Prix
-
'Money': Bayern's Kompany laments Premier League spending power
-
Alexander-Arnold dropped by England for World Cup qualifiers
-
Julia Roberts looks to 'stir it up' with cancel culture film at Venice
-
Howe vows Newcastle won't make 'poor' transfer decisions
-
Max Verstappen: fan favourite but -- for once -- not race favourite
-
Austria orders YouTube to give users access to their data
-
Labubu fans flock to stores after launch of mini dolls
-
Italy's Meloni slams photo sharing in lewd sites scandal
-
Swiss economic outlook 'dampened' by US tariffs: key barometer
-
Tukuafu returns for women's rugby world champions New Zealand against Japan
-
Israel army says Gaza City now 'a dangerous combat zone'
-
Trump son hypes bitcoin on Hong Kong leg of Asia trip
-
Paetongtarn Shinawatra: glamorous Thai PM felled by Cambodia row
-
Park Chan-wook, master of black comedy, returns to Venice
-
Mourinho sacked by Fenerbahce after Champions League exit
-
German unemployment tops 3 million, highest for a decade
-
Thai court sacks PM over Cambodia phone call row
-
Turkey says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands
-
South Korea's ex-first lady indicted for bribery
-
Lay off our eggs market, French producers tell Ukraine
-
Modi says India, Japan to 'shape the Asian century'
-
Hope and hate: how migrant influx has changed Germany
-
Outdoor athletics season should be longer, says Coe
-
Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin dies aged 92: Bolshoi

Academy will not strip 'To Leslie' Oscar nod despite campaign concern
Andrea Riseborough will keep her controversial Oscar nomination for "To Leslie" even though a review of the indie film's unorthodox promotional campaign uncovered concerns, the Academy said Tuesday.
The British star's best actress nomination, unveiled last week by Hollywood's most prestigious awards group, sent shockwaves through the industry.
While her performance was lauded by critics, the film had grossed just $27,000 at the box office, and had not received the sort of expensive and highly visible marketing campaign that is widely seen as essential for Academy Awards glory.
The movie -- about a Texas mother who won the lottery but squandered her fortune and descended into alcoholism -- instead relied upon an intense, last-minute social media campaign mounted by prominent celebrities including Edward Norton, Gwyneth Paltrow and Sarah Paulson.
Debate has raged in Hollywood over whether any Academy rules against lobbying or disparaging rivals were broken.
"The Academy has determined the activity in question does not rise to the level that the film's nomination should be rescinded," the Oscar-awarding group said in a statement Tuesday.
"However, we did discover social media and outreach campaigning tactics that caused concern. These tactics are being addressed with the responsible parties directly."
The Oscars are awarded based on the votes of the 9,500 members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Nominations are determined by each Academy branch, meaning the Oscar nominations for actors including Riseborough were voted on by around 1,300 actor members of the group.
It is these members who were allegedly targeted with e-mails and social media posts, encouraging them to vote for Riseborough and ask others to do so.
At least one Instagram post supporting "To Leslie" suggested that Riseborough's rivals such as Danielle Deadwyler and Viola Davis were "getting nominated anyway," so members' votes could safely be directed elsewhere.
Neither Deadwyler nor Davis -- who are both Black -- ended up receiving nominations. No Black stars received lead actress nods this year.
"The purpose of the Academy's campaign regulations is to ensure a fair and ethical awards process -- these are core values of the Academy," said the Academy statement.
The review made it clear that "components of the regulations must be clarified to help create a better framework for respectful, inclusive, and unbiased campaigning."
Any changes will not be made until after this year's Oscars ceremony, which take place on March 12.
"The Academy strives to create an environment where votes are based solely on the artistic and technical merits of the eligible films and achievements," the statement concluded.
K.Brown--BTB