
-
US banana giant Chiquita returns to Panama
-
Martin says Rangers remain supportive despite woeful start
-
Stocks slide as US inflation clouds rates outlook
-
Smog then floods: Pakistani families 'can't catch a break'
-
US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
-
Ayuso triumphs in Vuelta stage seven, Traen keeps red jersey
-
Goalkeepers still posing problems for Man City boss Guardiola
-
Turkey bars Israeli ships, flights from its territory
-
Forest boss Nuno plans Marinakis talks after transfer issues
-
Putin will have 'played' Trump if he refuses to meet Zelensky: Macron
-
Norris sets early pace at Dutch Grand Prix practice
-
Bargell tackles medical challenge and starts for US at Women's Rugby World Cup
-
Vardy in talks to sign for Serie A outfit Cremonese: source
-
Trump withdraws Kamala Harris's Secret Service protection
-
Arteta concerned by Saka injuries after latest hamstring blow
-
Red Cross says number of missing people surging
-
Tuchel apologised to Bellingham over 'repulsive' blast
-
Garnacho arrives at Chelsea as £40 m move from Man Utd moves closer
-
Iran has executed at least 841 people this year: UN
-
'Sometimes I want to quit' says troubled Man Utd boss Amorim
-
German neo-Nazi heads for women's jail after gender change
-
Crystal Palace to face Dynamo Kyiv, Strasbourg in Conference League
-
Japan pledges $68 billion investment in India
-
Europa League draw throws up Forest rematch with Malmo
-
Rooney reckons 'something is broken' at Amorim's Man Utd
-
McLaren set pace in first practice at Dutch Grand Prix
-
'Money': Bayern's Kompany laments Premier League spending power
-
Alexander-Arnold dropped by England for World Cup qualifiers
-
Julia Roberts looks to 'stir it up' with cancel culture film at Venice
-
Howe vows Newcastle won't make 'poor' transfer decisions
-
Max Verstappen: fan favourite but -- for once -- not race favourite
-
Austria orders YouTube to give users access to their data
-
Labubu fans flock to stores after launch of mini dolls
-
Italy's Meloni slams photo sharing in lewd sites scandal
-
Swiss economic outlook 'dampened' by US tariffs: key barometer
-
Tukuafu returns for women's rugby world champions New Zealand against Japan
-
Israel army says Gaza City now 'a dangerous combat zone'
-
Trump son hypes bitcoin on Hong Kong leg of Asia trip
-
Paetongtarn Shinawatra: glamorous Thai PM felled by Cambodia row
-
Park Chan-wook, master of black comedy, returns to Venice
-
Mourinho sacked by Fenerbahce after Champions League exit
-
German unemployment tops 3 million, highest for a decade
-
Thai court sacks PM over Cambodia phone call row
-
Turkey says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands
-
South Korea's ex-first lady indicted for bribery
-
Lay off our eggs market, French producers tell Ukraine
-
Modi says India, Japan to 'shape the Asian century'
-
Hope and hate: how migrant influx has changed Germany
-
Outdoor athletics season should be longer, says Coe
-
Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin dies aged 92: Bolshoi

'Men only' rule finally lifted by Shetland Viking festival
Women and girls have finally been allowed to take part in a torchlit procession on Tuesday at a festival in Shetland celebrating the Scottish islands' Viking past.
The committee in charge of the "Up Helly Aa" festival in Shetland's main town of Lerwick announced last year that it was time to lift a ban on women taking part in the traditional procession.
The event, which marks the end of the Christmas season, is popular among tourists.
It traditionally involves around 1,000 male participants known as guizers, who wear Viking dress and divide into squads to parade through the town.
The procession is led by the Guizer Jarl, or chief guizer, and culminates in the participants using their flaming torches to set ablaze a replica Viking longship.
The modern event, first held in 1881, is known for its festive parties that often involve traditional Shetland dancing and copious alcohol consumption.
Rural "Up Helly Aa" processions on Shetland, which lies in the middle of the North Sea some 400 miles (640 kilometres) from Edinburgh, started allowing women to take part in 2015.
But the town of Lerwick's committee initially stood firm against allowing female participants to get involved in celebrating the island's Norse heritage.
This year -- despite the lifting of the gender restrictions -- there are no women in the main Jarl squad which leads the procession. However, women are taking part in other historic costumed squads involved in the event.
Festival organisers said it was not necessarily a surprise that there were no female participants for the 2023 Jarl Squad, since it was formed back in 2021, before the lifting of gender restrictions was announced in June 2022.
"It is expected that females participating in the Jarl Squad will evolve in the coming years, but we'll see females participating in some of the other 46 squads from the 2023 festival," the "Up Helly Aa" committee said ahead of the event.
The torch-lit processions and longboat burning are an echo of pagan Norse rituals -- the Shetland and neighbouring Orkney Islands were ruled by the Norse for about 500 years until they became part of Scotland in 1468.
S.Keller--BTB