
-
Red Cross says number of missing people surging
-
Tuchel apologised to Bellingham over 'repulsive' blast
-
Garnacho arrives at Chelsea as £40 m move from Man Utd moves closer
-
Iran has executed at least 841 people this year: UN
-
'Sometimes I want to quit' says troubled Man Utd boss Amorim
-
German neo-Nazi heads for women's jail after gender change
-
Crystal Palace to face Dynamo Kyiv, Strasbourg in Conference League
-
Japan pledges $68 billion investment in India
-
Europa League draw throws up Forest rematch with Malmo
-
Rooney reckons 'something is broken' at Amorim's Man Utd
-
McLaren set pace in first practice at Dutch Grand Prix
-
'Money': Bayern's Kompany laments Premier League spending power
-
Alexander-Arnold dropped by England for World Cup qualifiers
-
Julia Roberts looks to 'stir it up' with cancel culture film at Venice
-
Howe vows Newcastle won't make 'poor' transfer decisions
-
Max Verstappen: fan favourite but -- for once -- not race favourite
-
Austria orders YouTube to give users access to their data
-
Labubu fans flock to stores after launch of mini dolls
-
Italy's Meloni slams photo sharing in lewd sites scandal
-
Swiss economic outlook 'dampened' by US tariffs: key barometer
-
Tukuafu returns for women's rugby world champions New Zealand against Japan
-
Israel army says Gaza City now 'a dangerous combat zone'
-
Trump son hypes bitcoin on Hong Kong leg of Asia trip
-
Paetongtarn Shinawatra: glamorous Thai PM felled by Cambodia row
-
Park Chan-wook, master of black comedy, returns to Venice
-
Mourinho sacked by Fenerbahce after Champions League exit
-
German unemployment tops 3 million, highest for a decade
-
Thai court sacks PM over Cambodia phone call row
-
Turkey says Russia scales back Ukraine territorial demands
-
South Korea's ex-first lady indicted for bribery
-
Lay off our eggs market, French producers tell Ukraine
-
Modi says India, Japan to 'shape the Asian century'
-
Hope and hate: how migrant influx has changed Germany
-
Outdoor athletics season should be longer, says Coe
-
Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin dies aged 92: Bolshoi
-
Thai court to rule on PM's fate after Cambodia phone call row
-
Last French survivor of key WWII desert battle dies aged 103
-
NZ police say CCTV shows father on the run for four years
-
Vandalism hobbles Nigeria's mobile telephone services
-
Indonesia leader orders investigation into driver's protest death
-
At 81, DJ Gloria fills Sweden's dancefloors
-
Japan seeks record defence budget, to triple drone spending
-
Late-night Paul battles through at US Open in 1:46 am finish
-
Jury finds Australian croc wrangler lied about air crash
-
Mistrust undermines Ivory Coast's universal healthcare dream
-
Australian police urge gunman to surrender after officers killed
-
Nanjing massacre film set becomes China school holiday hotspot
-
Celtic and Rangers seek Old Firm tonic for Champions League trauma
-
Aussie Rules player latest found with concussion-linked brain disease
-
Zelensky urges more Western pressure on Putin after deadly Russian attack

Bereaved UK father criticises social media firms' response to tragedy
The father of a teenage girl who died in Britain after viewing harmful online content on Monday criticised the response of social media companies to a report aimed at preventing future tragedies.
Londoner Ian Russell, the father of 14-year-old Molly, described their reaction as "underwhelming and unsurprising", demonstrating "business as usual" approach.
Regulation, such as the British government's proposed Online Safety Bill, was the only way to end the "inertia" shown by social media sites towards safety, he added.
The inquest into her death heard that of the 16,300 posts Molly saved, shared or liked on Instagram in the six-month period before her death, 2,100 related to depression, self-harm or suicide.
Coroner Andrew Walker, who led the inquest, subsequently wrote to Meta, Pinterest, Twitter and Snapchat in September last year.
In a "prevention of future deaths" report sent to the social media firms and the UK government, Walker urged a review of the algorithms used by the sites to provide content.
Russell expressed disappointment at their feedback and the fact that Instagram's parent company Meta had not shown any "significant change in direction".
"One perhaps would have hoped that looking at the level of detail that was presented to the coroner...," he told the PA news agency.
"It would have focused minds and compelled tech platforms to react more positively to put safety higher up their agenda," he added.
"But that doesn't seem to be the case, particularly in Meta's case."
- Tougher action -
In his inquest into Molly Russell's death, Walker ruled that she had died from an act of self-harm while suffering from the "negative effects of online content".
It would not be "safe" to conclude it was suicide, he said.
Her death in November 2017 led her family to set up a campaign highlighting the dangers of social media.
The Online Safety Bill is due to be debated by MPs on Tuesday.
In its current form, it would require tech companies to remove illegal material from their platforms, with a particular emphasis on protecting children from seeing harmful content. It would also heavy fines for sites that break the rules.
Dozens of MPs with the ruling Conservatives however have put their name to an amendment demanding tougher action.
The rebels MPs want the owners of social media platforms to face jail time if they fail to protect children from seeing damaging content.
After the inquest into his daughter's death, Russell said it was "time the toxic corporate culture at the heart of the world's biggest social media platform changed.
A senior Meta executive had said the content that the platform's algorithms had pushed to his daughter was safe, said Russell.
"If this demented trail of life-sucking content was safe, my daughter Molly would probably still be alive -- and instead of being a bereaved family of four, there would be five of us looking forward to a life full of purpose and promise that lay ahead for our adorable Molly," he added.
J.Horn--BTB