
-
Europeans tell Iran offer on table to avoid sanctions
-
FA Cup-holders Palace sign Spain winger Pino
-
Alcaraz romps into US Open fourth round, Rybakina advances
-
Alcaraz mows down Darderi to reach US Open last 16
-
Court battle underway as Fed Governor Cook contests firing by Trump
-
Schwarber hits historic four homers but misses rare shot at five
-
Injury doubt Tonali picked by Gattuso for Italy's World Cup qualifiers
-
Spurs sign Dutch midfielder Simons in boost for new boss Frank
-
Rybakina routs Raducanu to advance at US Open
-
US banana giant Chiquita returns to Panama
-
Martin says Rangers remain supportive despite woeful start
-
Stocks slide as US inflation clouds rates outlook
-
Smog then floods: Pakistani families 'can't catch a break'
-
US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
-
Ayuso triumphs in Vuelta stage seven, Traen keeps red jersey
-
Goalkeepers still posing problems for Man City boss Guardiola
-
Turkey bars Israeli ships, flights from its territory
-
Forest boss Nuno plans Marinakis talks after transfer issues
-
Putin will have 'played' Trump if he refuses to meet Zelensky: Macron
-
Norris sets early pace at Dutch Grand Prix practice
-
Bargell tackles medical challenge and starts for US at Women's Rugby World Cup
-
Vardy in talks to sign for Serie A outfit Cremonese: source
-
Trump withdraws Kamala Harris's Secret Service protection
-
Arteta concerned by Saka injuries after latest hamstring blow
-
Red Cross says number of missing people surging
-
Tuchel apologised to Bellingham over 'repulsive' blast
-
Garnacho arrives at Chelsea as £40 m move from Man Utd moves closer
-
Iran has executed at least 841 people this year: UN
-
'Sometimes I want to quit' says troubled Man Utd boss Amorim
-
German neo-Nazi heads for women's jail after gender change
-
Crystal Palace to face Dynamo Kyiv, Strasbourg in Conference League
-
Japan pledges $68 billion investment in India
-
Europa League draw throws up Forest rematch with Malmo
-
Rooney reckons 'something is broken' at Amorim's Man Utd
-
McLaren set pace in first practice at Dutch Grand Prix
-
'Money': Bayern's Kompany laments Premier League spending power
-
Alexander-Arnold dropped by England for World Cup qualifiers
-
Julia Roberts looks to 'stir it up' with cancel culture film at Venice
-
Howe vows Newcastle won't make 'poor' transfer decisions
-
Max Verstappen: fan favourite but -- for once -- not race favourite
-
Austria orders YouTube to give users access to their data
-
Labubu fans flock to stores after launch of mini dolls
-
Italy's Meloni slams photo sharing in lewd sites scandal
-
Swiss economic outlook 'dampened' by US tariffs: key barometer
-
Tukuafu returns for women's rugby world champions New Zealand against Japan
-
Israel army says Gaza City now 'a dangerous combat zone'
-
Trump son hypes bitcoin on Hong Kong leg of Asia trip
-
Paetongtarn Shinawatra: glamorous Thai PM felled by Cambodia row
-
Park Chan-wook, master of black comedy, returns to Venice
-
Mourinho sacked by Fenerbahce after Champions League exit

Miami Beach set to impose spring break curfew after gun violence
The US city of Miami Beach prepared Thursday to impose a curfew to stem a wave of violence linked to the influx of revellers to Florida for the phenomenon known as spring break.
The decision came after two shootings that left five people injured in recent days.
Last year police also imposed a curfew after arresting more than 1,000 people over the course of six weeks for street fights and vandalism.
Every year in the spring, hordes of partygoers take over the Miami Beach waterfront for late-night drinking parties that can quickly turn ugly.
It is part of the collective college experience of generations of American students -- but residents have increasingly opposed the social gatherings despite the contribution to the local economy.
The curfew, which covers the busiest area of the city including famous Ocean Drive, will last from midnight until 6:00 am Thursday through Monday.
A 49-year-old bartender named Raul -- he did not want to give his last name -- said he supports the decision to declare a curfew.
"This is not good for the business, but I agree with the authorities. Something needs to be done to guarantee public safety," he told AFP.
On Ocean Drive, Ebony McFarland, 27, said she is not keen on spending another spring break under curfew -- she endured it last year, too -- but is not surprised by the measure.
"I definitely understand why they are having a curfew because it gets out of control. There are young people who come here and they don't know how to act," said McFarland, who lives in Atlanta, 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) to the north.
- Controversial measure -
The authorities announced the curfew on Monday after the shootings of last weekend.
On Wednesday city hall announced it was adding a ban on alcohol sales in liquor stores and supermarkets in the busiest parts of town from 6:00 pm until opening time the next day. This does not apply to bars and restaurants.
Marcus Gregory, a 24-year-old tourist from Houston, said the curfew is pointless.
"I don't understand how this is going to help. I don't feel that it's going to stop anything from happening," he said.
Stephen Hunter Johnson, a member of the Miami-Dade Black Affairs Advisory Board, said he sees race as a factor. He said authorities have chosen Miami Beach for the curfew because the city draws a lot of Black people.
"The only emergency is that Black people are on the Beach," he told the Miami Herald.
Miami Beach resident John Lee, 27, sitting on a bench by the beach, said his town is no different than any other.
"I don't think there is anything spectacular here. These things happen everywhere in the world every day. And they do nothing about it," Lee said.
J.Horn--BTB