-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
Celebrations as Hamas frees US-Israeli hostage
The armed wing of Palestinian militant group Hamas handed over a US-Israeli hostage held in Gaza since October 2023 on Monday, ahead of a regional visit by US President Donald Trump.
"The (Ezzedine) Al-Qassam Brigades have just released the Zionist soldier and American citizen Edan Alexander, following contacts with the US administration, as part of the efforts undertaken by mediators to achieve a ceasefire," Hamas said in a statement.
Israel's military said he was back inside Israel to be "reunited with his family".
Flag-waving crowds gathered to greet the convoy carrying Alexander, and in Tenafly, New Jersey, where he grew up, large crowds celebrated his release.
Close friends and family chanted his name and applauded at the news that Alexander had been freed, footage released by the Hostages and Missing Families Forum showed.
The Israeli army later said he was being taken by helicopter to a hospital where he would "receive medical treatment" and "be reunited with other members of his family".
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed Alexander's return, adding: "The Government of Israel is committed to the return of all hostages and missing persons — both the living and the fallen."
He credited "political pressure" from Trump and "our military pressure" for the release.
The Forum in a statement urged Netanyahu to say he was "ready to negotiate a comprehensive agreement" to bring home all the hostages.
Meirav Etrogbar, 52, a volunteer at the Forum, told AFP: "They should stop the war and bring all the hostages back home in a deal, not military pressure."
- 'Intensification of fighting' -
Alexander's release comes a day after Hamas revealed it was engaged in direct talks with Washington towards a Gaza ceasefire.
"We affirm that serious and responsible negotiations yield results in the release of prisoners, while the continuation of aggression prolongs their suffering and may kill them," a Hamas statement said.
"We urge President Trump's administration to continue its efforts to end this brutal war."
Alexander was the last living hostage in Gaza with American citizenship. His release came with Trump heading for Saudi Arabia on the first leg of a regional tour.
On Monday, Netanyahu thanked Trump "for his assistance in the release", and also said he had instructed a negotiating team to head to Qatar on Tuesday to discuss the further release of hostages.
Netanyahu earlier said "Israel has not committed to a ceasefire of any kind or the release of terrorists but only to a safe corridor that will allow for the release of Edan".
Negotiations for a possible deal to secure the release of all hostages would continue "under fire, during preparations for an intensification of the fighting", he added.
Meanwhile, the UN- and NGO-backed Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) warned Monday that Gaza was at "critical risk of famine", with 22 percent of the population facing an imminent humanitarian "catastrophe" after more than two months of a total aid blockade by Israel.
Ahead of Alexander's release, a Hamas source said that mediators informed the group that Israel would halt military operations for the handover of the 21-year-old soldier.
The pause offered a much-needed respite for residents of the war-battered territory.
Somaya Abu Al-Kas, 34, who had been displaced to the southern city of Khan Yunis, said that "calm settled over Gaza, there was no shelling, and no nearby aircraft, which is very rare".
But Um Mohammed Zomlot, 50, also displaced in Khan Yunis, said: "Everyone is afraid that the shelling might resume suddenly after the prisoner is released."
Gaza's civil defence agency earlier reported at least 10 killed in an overnight Israeli strike on a school housing displaced people.
- 'Good faith gesture' -
After Hamas announced Sunday it would release Alexander, Trump hailed the "monumental news" in a post on social media, describing it as a "good faith gesture".
"Hopefully this is the first of those final steps necessary to end this brutal conflict," he added.
Egypt and Qatar, which along with the United States have mediated talks between Hamas and Israel, called it "an encouraging step toward a return to the negotiating table" in a joint statement.
Of the 251 hostages seized during Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, 57 are still held in Gaza, including 34 the Israeli military says are dead.
Israel ended a two-month ceasefire on March 18, ramping up its bombardment of the territory.
Earlier this month, Israel's government approved plans to expand its Gaza offensive, with officials talking of retaining a long-term presence there.
The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza said Monday at least 2,749 people have been killed since Israel resumed its campaign, bringing the overall death toll since the war broke out to 52,862.
burs-acc/srm/dcp/fec
S.Spengler--VB