-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
-
2,500 dead and rising -- UN says DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'growing exponentially'
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
England all out for 409, lead Pakistan by 238 runs in 1st Test
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
Gaza ministry says hundreds of war missing confirmed dead, toll at 52,243
The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza announced Sunday that the death toll from the war had risen to more than 52,000 people, after hundreds previously listed as missing were confirmed dead.
"An additional 697 martyrs have been added to the cumulative statistics after their data was completed and verified by the committee monitoring missing persons," the health ministry said in a statement, giving the overall toll of 52,243.
Several United Nations agencies that operate in Gaza have said the ministry's data is credible and they are frequently cited by international organisations.
One hospital in the Palestinian territory confirmed the data and elaborated on the process.
"The families of those initially reported missing had informed authorities of their disappearance, but their bodies were subsequently recovered -— either from beneath the rubble or from areas previously inaccessible to medical teams due to the presence of the Israeli army," said Khalil al-Daqran, spokesman for Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital.
He said the ministry’s release of the 697 figure came after a "judicial committee" that collects and checks data completed its documentation, "confirming their martyrdom and transferring their status from missing persons to martyrs."
When asked why such a large number was announced simultaneously, the Hamas government's Media Office in Gaza explained that statistics are released periodically.
It is not the first time the health ministry has made such a revision.
"Because the judicial committee issues its report periodically rather than daily. They follow their own procedural protocols, and once their report was finalised, it was officially adopted," Ismail al-Thawabta, director general of the Media Office, told AFP.
With Gaza largely in ruins after more than 18 months of war, the health ministry has struggled to count the death toll.
But neither the Israeli military nor top Israeli officials have denied the scale of the overall toll.
Earlier this year, Israel and Hamas agreed to a truce, which began on January 19, but collapsed two months later on March 18 due to disagreements over the next phase of the deal.
Since then, Israel has resumed its military campaign in Gaza, resulting in at least 2,151 additional deaths.
G.Frei--VB