-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Yemen's Huthis seek propaganda boost from deadly US strikes
As America's escalated bombing campaign and economic sanctions hit Yemen hard, the Iran-backed Huthi rebels in Washington's crosshairs are trying to mine the situation for propaganda and recruitment, analysts said.
On Monday, four days after 80 people were killed in US strikes on a fuel port, the Huthis released a slick promotional video showing special forces marching over the Israeli flag and somersaulting through flaming hoops.
Against a soundtrack of dramatic music, the masked soldiers fire automatic weapons at targets bearing the American, Israeli and British flags -- the three countries involved in attacks on Yemen since January last year.
The Huthis, part of Iran's "axis of resistance" against Israel and the US, have painted themselves as defenders of Gaza during the Israel-Hamas war, launching a drumbeat of missiles and drones both at Israel and at cargo vessels plying the key Red Sea trade route.
In response, the administration of US President Donald Trump has ramped up pressure on the group, redesignating it a terrorist organisation and carrying out near-daily air strikes that have killed more than 200 people since mid-March.
"The Huthis are absolutely trying to use the intensified campaign of US air strikes for propaganda purposes," said Thomas Juneau, a Middle East specialist at the University of Ottawa's Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.
"They are actively using information operations to try to position themselves as champions of the resistance against the United States and its regional partners, including to maximise recruitment domestically."
- Child soldiers -
The Huthis, whose regular rallies against the United States and Israel are attended by large crowds in the rebel-held capital Sanaa, have urged Yemenis to mobilise.
They say that tens of thousands had signed up for military training since the start of the war in the Gaza Strip.
In February last year, Human Rights Watch warned that child recruitment for the rebels' armed forces had "noticeably" increased since the Gaza war began in October 2023.
Rebel television aired interviews with survivors of last week's attack on the Ras Issa fuel port, the deadliest of the US campaign, who vowed support for Gaza even as they lay wounded on stretchers.
The US escalation "comes at a steep human cost, which could intensify Huthi mobilisation and recruitment", said US-based Yemen expert Mohammed Albasha.
But the US raids have also succeeded in destroying some Huthi military capabilities and have forced its leadership into hiding, analysts say.
The Huthis managed to survive a decade of air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition and more than a year of US attacks aimed at deterring their harassment of Red Sea shipping.
"The difference with the American bombing campaign is its relentless pursuit of Huthi leadership," said Maged al-Madhaji, chairperson of the Sanaa Center for Strategic Studies, an independent think-tank.
Attacks on communication networks and control centres have caused "unprecedented damage to the movement's infrastructure", he added.
"However, this damage can be repaired if the campaign stops and neither a ground operation nor a political path is pursued. The Huthis are capable of adapting and enduring pressure."
- Economic damage 'much bigger' -
Meanwhile, Washington is strangling the rebels financially, sanctioning banks and hitting infrastructure like the Ras Issa fuel terminal -- a vital source of energy and funds for the Huthis' precarious economy.
Returning the rebels to the US terror list makes it risky for companies to operate in their territory, including by importing materials, as they could face sanctions of their own.
"The economic damage is much bigger than just (military strikes)," said Baraa Shiban, a Yemen specialist at Britain's Royal United Services Institute, a security think-tank.
He also questioned the effectiveness of the Huthi propaganda among a population already reeling from more than a decade of war with the Saudi-led coalition.
"People are frustrated, tired, and they're exhausted. And, you know, the economic situation is very, very dire," Shiban said.
"People just want the cycle of violence to end."
T.Egger--VB