-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
El Salvador offers to swap US deportees with Venezuela
Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele offered Venezuela Sunday a trade of 252 Venezuelans deported to his country by the United States for an equal number of political prisoners held by President Nicolas Maduro's regime.
The offer followed a broadside from President Donald Trump against US Supreme Court judges who on Saturday ordered a halt to removals like that of the Venezuelans, which the American administration has carried out under an obscure wartime law.
"I want to propose to you a humanitarian agreement calling for the repatriation of 100 percent of the 252 Venezuelans who were deported," Bukele wrote to Maduro on X.
The prisoners would be sent "in exchange for the release and handing over of an identical number from among the thousands of political prisoners that you hold," he added.
The Salvadoran leader, who was hosted at the White House last week, said that "all the Venezuelans we have in custody were detained as part of an operation against gangs like Tren de Aragua in the United States."
In little more than a month, 288 migrants accused by the Trump administration of belonging to gangs including Tren de Aragua -- now defined as a terrorist organization by Washington -- have been shipped to El Salvador.
The US is paying Bukele's government to imprison them in the country's notorious CECOT prison outside capital San Salvador.
- Lashing out at judges -
The Trump administration has clashed with judges at home over the deportations.
The Supreme Court's Saturday order at least temporarily halted what rights groups warned were imminent deportations of Venezuelan migrants being held in Texas, who have been accused of being gang members.
More broadly, the decision temporarily prevents the government from continuing to expel migrants under the 1798 Alien Enemies Act -- last used to round up Japanese-American citizens during World War II.
Administration officials from Trump down have claimed that illegal immigration and gang activity amounts to an "invasion" of the US and this justifies using the law.
Trump lashed out Sunday on his Truth Social platform, not specifically naming the high court but slamming the "WEAK and INEFFECTIVE Judges and Law Enforcement Officials who are allowing this sinister attack on our Nation to continue."
The White House has been butting heads with federal judges, rights groups and Democrats who say Trump has trampled or ignored constitutionally enshrined rights in rushing to deport migrants, sometimes without the right to a hearing.
"We're getting closer and closer to a constitutional crisis," Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar told CNN.
In the most publicized case, Maryland resident Kilmar Abrego Garcia was sent to CECOT without charge.
The administration admitted that Abrego Garcia had been included among the deportees due to an "administrative error," and the Supreme Court ruled that the government must "facilitate" his return.
Trump has since doubled down, however, insisting that Abrego Garcia is in fact a gang member, including posting an apparently doctored photo on social media Friday of a gang symbol tattooed on his knuckles.
Maryland Senator Chris Van Hollen, who met Abrego Garcia on Thursday, said the man was bewildered by his detention and felt threatened in prison.
On Sunday, Van Hollen challenged the Trump administration to provide evidence that it is respecting US laws in its deportation sweep.
"I'm okay with whatever the rule of law dictates," he told CNN, "but right now we have a lawless president... who is ignoring the order of the Supreme Court of the United States to facilitate (Abrego Garcia's) return."
- Political and foreign prisoners -
Bukele claimed Sunday that many of the Venezuelan detainees now in his country "have committed murder, others have committed rape, and some had even been arrested multiple times before being deported."
"Unlike our detainees... your political prisoners have not committed any crime. The only reason they are imprisoned is because they have opposed you and your electoral frauds," he told Venezuela's Maduro.
Bukele added that he was seeking the release of prominent Venezuelans such as Rafael Tudares, son-in-law of Maduro's 2024 presidential challenger Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia, journalist Roland Carreno, activist lawyer Rocio San Miguel and opponents who have holed up for more than a year in Argentina's Caracas embassy.
He also cited 50 citizens of other nations, among them Americans, Europeans, Middle Easterners and Latin Americans.
A.Zbinden--VB