-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
Russia and Ukraine trade blame over Easter truce, as Trump predicts 'deal'
Russia and Ukraine on Sunday accused each other of violating an Easter truce as US President Donald Trump surprisingly announced that the war rivals could make a "deal" this week.
The 30-hour truce from Saturday, announced by Russia's President Vladimir Putin, had been meant to mark the religious holiday. But Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia had carried out hundreds of front line attacks.
"The Ukrainian army is acting and will continue to act in an absolutely mirror image" of Russia," he warned.
Later Zelensky said on social media: "The Russian army has violated Putin's ceasefire more than 2,000 times".
"However, there were no air raid alerts today," he added, proposing a halt to "any strikes using long-range drones and missiles on civilian infrastructure for a period of at least 30 days".
He made a similar proposal at the beginning of the weekend in response to Putin's announcement of the Easter truce.
Trump had also made a ceasefire proposal to Russia, which was accepted by Ukraine but rebuffed by Russia.
Trump said on Friday that he would end US efforts to halt the war that started with Russia's February 2022 invasion unless the two sides moved toward an accord.
- 'Hopefully... a deal' -
Then on Sunday, he came out with a new startling announcement.
"Hopefully Russia and Ukraine will make a deal this week," he said in a short message on his Truth Social platform.
"Both will then start to do big business with the United States of America, which is thriving, and make a fortune," he added. The White House did not immediately give any further details on the president's announcement.
Russia, which has called the ceasefire talks "difficult", accused Ukraine of breaching the truce.
Moscow said it had "repelled" Ukrainian assaults and accused Kyiv of launching hundreds of drones and shells, causing civilian casualties.
"Despite the announcement of the Easter truce, Ukrainian units at night made attempts to attack" Russian positions in the Donetsk region, its defence ministry added.
Russian troops had "strictly observed the ceasefire", the ministry insisted.
Rescue services in the eastern town of Kostyantynivka said they had recovered the bodies of a man and a woman from the ruins of building hit the previous day by Russian shelling.
The Russian-appointed mayor of Gorlovka in occupied Donetsk, Ivan Prikhodko, said two civilians had been wounded there.
- 'Fewer guys will die' -
Ukrainian soldiers told AFP that they had noticed a lull in fighting.
A drone unit commander said that Russia's activity had "significantly decreased both in Zaporizhzhia and Kharkiv regions", combat zones in the south and northeast where the unit is active.
"Several assaults were recorded, but those were solitary incidents involving small groups," the commander told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.
"Fewer guys (soldiers) will die today."
Russian "artillery is not working. it is quiet compared to a regular day", Sergiy, a junior lieutenant fighting in the Sumy border region, wrote to AFP in a message.
Ukrainian troops "are on the defensive", he added. "If the enemy doesn't move forward, they don't shoot."
AFP journalists monitoring in eastern Ukraine heard fewer explosions than usual and saw no smoke on the horizon.
Putin had announced a truce from 6:00 pm (1500 GMT) Saturday to midnight Sunday Moscow time (2100 GMT), saying it was motivated by "humanitarian reasons".
Zelensky responded that Ukraine was ready to follow suit and proposed extending the truce for 30 days to "give peace a chance".
But he said Sunday that Russia had not responded to the offer.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that Putin had given no order to extend the truce.
- 'Can't trust Russia' --
In Kyiv, as Easter Sunday bells rang out, people doubted Russia's good faith.
"They've already broken their promise," said 38-year-old Olga Grachova, who works in marketing. "Unfortunately, we cannot trust Russia today."
Natalia, a 41-year-old medic, said of Zelensky's 30-day proposal: "Everything we offer, unfortunately, remains only our offers. Nobody responds to them."
People in Moscow welcomed an Easter truce and hoped for more progress towards an end to the war.
"I think that this awful thing will end at some point, but not soon," said Irina Volkova, a 73-year-old pensioner.
"All is not going well for us in Ukraine," she added. "People are dying, our guys are dying."
burs-tw/jj
W.Huber--VB