-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
Hamas armed wing says fate of US-Israeli captive unknown
The fate of a US-Israeli hostage who Hamas said had featured in an Israeli truce proposal remains unknown, the group said on Saturday, separately releasing a video of another captive alive.
The body of a guard assigned to the American-Israeli, Edan Alexander, had been recovered from the site of a recent Israeli strike, Hamas's armed wing the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades said in a statement.
"But the fate of the prisoner and the rest of the captors remains unknown," the militants said.
Hamas on Thursday signalled its rejection of the plan, which would have involved Alexander.
A senior Hamas official had on Monday said Israel proposed a 45-day ceasefire in exchange for the release of 10 living hostages, the first of whom would have been Alexander.
He is among the dozens of living and dead captives still held in Gaza, 18 months after Hamas's war with Israel began, and weeks into a renewed Israeli offensive that rescuers in Gaza said killed 54 people on Saturday.
Alexander had also featured in a proposal one month earlier from the United States Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff.
On Tuesday, Hamas announced it had "lost contact" with the militant unit holding Alexander following an Israeli air strike on their location in the Gaza Strip.
"We are trying to protect all the prisoners (hostages) and preserve their lives despite the brutality of the aggression... but their lives are in danger due to the criminal bombing operations carried out by the enemy army," Abu Obeida, spokesman for Hamas's armed wing, said in a statement.
The Brigades on April 12 released a video showing Alexander alive, in which he criticised the Israeli government for failing to secure his release.
Alexander was serving as a soldier in an elite infantry unit on the Gaza border when Palestinian militants abducted him during their October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.
Of the 251 hostages taken during the attack, 58 remain in captivity in Gaza, including 34 the Israeli military says are dead.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday that he believed "we can bring our hostages home without surrendering to Hamas's dictates", adding the military campaign in Gaza was "at a critical stage".
- Soldier killed -
Israel resumed its intense air strikes and ground offensive across Gaza on March 18 amid disagreement over the next phase in a ceasefire that lasted two months.
Rejecting a new truce proposal, Hamas's chief negotiator Khalil al-Hayya on Thursday said the Islamist group sought a comprehensive deal including "halting the war" and an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.
An Israeli pullout and a "permanent end to the war" would also have occurred -- as outlined by then-US president Joe Biden -- under a second phase of the ceasefire that had begun on January 19 but later collapsed.
Since Israeli forces resumed their offensive, at least 1,783 people have been killed in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run territory's health ministry.
On Saturday, Israel announced its first military fatality in the territory since the ceasefire's collapse.
Also on Saturday, the Al-Qassam Brigades released a video showing an Israeli hostage alive in Gaza.
Israeli campaign group the Hostages and Missing Families Forum identified the hostage as Elkana Bohbot, who was abducted from a music festival during the October 7 attack.
In the footage, Bohbot is seen speaking in Hebrew into a landline telephone, urging a friend to take his wife to the White House to meet US President Donald Trump in an effort to secure his release.
It is the third such video of Bohbot, a Colombian-Israeli, since March 24.
The hostage forum released a statement from his family who were "shocked and devastated" after the video release.
"We are extremely concerned about Elkana's physical and mental condition -- everyone can see it," the family said.
Israelis rallied in Tel Aviv on Saturday night in a regular ritual calling for a deal for the hostages' release, a stance reiterated by the forum, which accused Netanyahu of having "no plan" for securing the captives' freedom.
"There is one clear, feasible, and urgent solution that can be achieved now: reach a deal that will bring everyone home -- even if it means stopping the fighting," the hostage forum said in a statement.
Hamas's October 7 attack resulted in the deaths of 1,281 people on the Israeli side, mostly civilians, while Israel's military offensive since then has killed at least 51,157 people in Gaza, also mostly civilians, according to data from both sides.
H.Weber--VB