-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
China vows 'fight to the end' as Trump warns 50% more tariffs
China vowed on Tuesday to "fight to the end" against fresh tariffs of 50 percent threatened by US President Donald Trump, further aggravating a trade war that has already wiped trillions off global markets.
Trump upended the world economy last week with sweeping tariffs that have raised the spectre of an international recession, but has ruled out any pause in his aggressive trade policy despite a dramatic market sell-off.
Beijing -- Washington's major economic rival -- responded by announcing its own 34 percent duties on US goods to come into effect on Thursday, in a showdown between the world's two biggest economies.
The swift retaliation from China earned a new warning from Trump that he would impose additional levies if Beijing refused to stop pushing back against his barrage of tariffs -- driving the overall levies on Chinese goods to 104 percent.
"I have great respect for China but they can not do this," Trump said in the White House. "We are going to have one shot at this... I'll tell you what, it is an honour to do it."
China swiftly hit back, blasting what it called "blackmailing" by the US and saying it would "never accept" such action.
"If the US insists on going its own way, China will fight it to the end," a spokesperson for Beijing's commerce ministry said on Tuesday, adding that Trump's threat "once again exposes the US's blackmailing nature".
"If the US escalates its tariff measures, China will resolutely take countermeasures to safeguard its own rights and interests," the ministry said.
The ministry reiterated that it sought "dialogue" with the United States, and that there were "no winners in a trade war".
- Market turmoil -
Trump's tariffs have already had a dramatic impact on markets in the last days, with Hong Kong's Hang Seng collapsing by 13.2 percent on Monday -- its worst day since the Asian financial crisis -- before paring back some of those losses in opening trade on Tuesday.
Wall Street stocks finished lower following a volatile session, with both the Dow and S&P 500 ending down.
Trillions of dollars have been wiped off combined stock market valuations in recent sessions.
Trump doubled down again on Monday, saying he was "not looking" at any pause in tariff implementation.
He also scrapped any meetings with China over tariffs, but said the United States was ready for talks with any country willing to negotiate.
After equities took a huge hammering in Shanghai on Monday, China's central bank issued a statement before trading resumed Tuesday to underline it was standing behind a sovereign fund as it buys up exchange traded funds to stabilise the market.
With investors seeking any relief from the ruinous trade war, stocks in Tokyo leapt on Tuesday after Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent suggested in an interview with Fox News that Japan would get "priority" in negotiations over the US tariffs "just because they came forward very quickly".
A 10 percent "baseline" tariff on US imports from around the world took effect Saturday, and a slew of countries will be hit by higher duties from Wednesday, including the levy of 34 percent for Chinese goods as well as 20 percent for EU products.
Scores of countries have sought talks, Bessent told Fox News, adding "through good negotiations, all we will do is see levels come down".
While meeting Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the first leader to lobby Trump in person over the levies, the US President said: "There can be permanent tariffs, and there can also be negotiations, because there are things that we need beyond tariffs."
EU trade ministers were in Luxembourg on Monday to discuss the bloc's response, with Germany and France having advocated a tax targeting US tech giants.
"We must not exclude any option on goods, on services," said French Trade Minister Laurent Saint-Martin.
The 27-nation bloc should "open the European toolbox, which is very comprehensive and can also be extremely aggressive", he said.
- Inflation? Recession? -
While markets continued its wild ride, Trump told Americans: "Don't be Weak! Don't be Stupid!".
The 78-year-old Republican believes that the tariffs will revive America's lost manufacturing base by forcing foreign companies to relocate to the United States, rather than making goods abroad.
But most economists question his theory and say his tariffs are arbitrary.
JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon warned of coming inflation, adding "whether or not the menu of tariffs causes a recession remains in question, but it will slow down growth".
US Senator Ted Cruz -- a staunch Trump loyalist -- expressed widespread concern among Republican lawmakers over the impact on ordinary voters.
He warned of a jobs crunch and rising prices, saying a recession would mean a "bloodbath" for Republicans in mid-term elections next year.
burs-mjw/je/hmn
A.Kunz--VB