-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Ailing Bolsonaro says he will 'probably' need surgery
Brazil's ex-president Jair Bolsonaro said Saturday that he will "probably" need surgery, after being hospitalized a day earlier in the northeastern city of Natal with what he called "unbearable" abdominal pain.
The far-right former leader said on X that he would "probably be operated on again" after being transferred to a hospital in Brasilia.
A source at the private Rio Grande Hospital in Natal said Bolsonaro would probably be transferred by plane late Saturday.
The former leader has undergone multiple surgeries since being the victim of a vicious knife attack during his 2018 campaign for the presidency, but he said Saturday on X that doctors told him his latest painful incident was "the most serious" since then.
Rogerio Marinho, a senator in Bolsonaro's far-right Liberal Party, had been accompanying Bolsonaro on a multi-city tour in Rio Grande do Norte state when the trip was cut short after the 70-year-old ex-president complained of "unbearable pain" caused by a bowel obstruction.
He was first taken to a local hospital where he was "stabilized," then flown by helicopter to the larger Rio Grande facility in Natal, the state capital.
Bolsonaro lost some 40 percent of his blood in the 2018 attack. The assailant was later declared mentally unfit to stand trial.
The former army captain was elected president just weeks after the attack but the stabbing has taken a lasting toll, leading to repeated hospitalizations and surgeries.
His latest setback occurred two weeks after the country's Supreme Court ruled that he should face trial on charges of plotting a coup after he lost the presidency to Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in the 2022 election.
In Natal, a surgeon at the private Rio Grande Hospital initially said on Friday that no surgery was planned, as the ex-president had seen improvement.
"Thank God, my condition is stable and I am recovering, without fever," Bolsonaro wrote on X, adding that "the cause was a complication in the small intestine, a consequence of the multiple surgeries I needed to undergo after the attack in 2018."
Marinho said the transfer to Brasilia would allow the former president to be treated by a medical team that has "followed him for years."
Bolsonaro has been declared ineligible to run for office until 2030 for baselessly questioning the reliability of Brazil's electronic voting system.
But he has clung to hopes that the judgment might be overturned or the sentence reduced in time to allow him to stand in next year's elections.
D.Bachmann--VB