-
Rift deepens as Asia football chief hits back at Qatar in Infantino saga
-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
Kevin Spacey to get charity award in Cannes despite new scandal
Hollywood actor Kevin Spacey is to be given a lifetime's achievement award by a charity on the fringes of the Cannes film festival Tuesday despite being hit by a new sexual misconduct case.
The Better World Fund told AFP that the actor will be recognised "for his decades of artistic brilliance" at a charity gala, another step in the controversial rehabilitation of the scandal-plagued star.
The charity told AFP Monday that it invited Spacey to the French Rivera resort because he had been cleared by the courts.
The invitation to Cannes -- where Spacey has not been seen on the red carpet since 2016 -- comes as the main festival has been enforcing a new no-tolerance policy on sexual misconduct, under pressure from lawmakers and #MeToo anti-abuse activists.
A festival spokesperson declined to comment when contacted by AFP.
Spacey was acquitted of nine cases of alleged sex offences in Britain in 2023 and a New York court dismissed a $40 million civil sexual misconduct lawsuit against the "Usual Suspects" actor in 2022.
But last May new claims of inappropriate sexual behaviour emerged in a British television documentary, "Spacey Unmasked".
In it, 10 men not involved in the UK court case involving Spacey accused him of behaving inappropriately towards them.
But the 65-year-old, whose stellar career was derailed by the earlier claims, denied any wrongdoing.
In February, lawyers for former actor Ruari Cannon told AFP that he was taking a case to Britain's High Court against Spacey and London's Old Vic Theatre, where the actor was artistic director between 2003 and 2015.
In the documentary, Cannon accused Spacey of having touched him inappropriately in London when he was 21 years old and the American star was 53.
- #MeToo policy -
Cannes -- once the hunting ground of disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein whose arrest sparked the #MeToo movement -- has been dogged for years by claims that it was too soft on celebrity abusers.
This year's festival opened just as French screen legend Gerard Depardieu was handed an 18-month suspended sentence for sexually assaulting two women on a film set in 2021.
With jury president, French actor Juliette Binoche, speaking out about harassment she experienced on set, Cannes has been swift to implement its new rules.
French actor Theo Navarro-Mussy -- who denies rape allegations made by three women against him -- was barred last week from the premiere of "Dossier 137", one of the films in the running for the Palme d'Or top prize.
The festival justified its decision by saying an appeal was under way.
And on Thursday, a vice president of the avant garde parallel film section at Cannes, ACID, was suspended after being publicly accused of sexual violence during an event.
A.Kunz--VB