-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
US unveils ambitious air traffic control upgrade
The Trump administration unveiled Thursday a plan to overhaul the antiquated US air traffic control system, acting with industry and lawmakers' support on a hot-button issue after a deadly crash this year.
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy described the initiative as once-in-a-generation upgrade -- a project involving the rebuilding of some air traffic control towers and the replacement of radar, sensors and telecommunications with completely state-of-the-art versions.
"I don't need to preserve any of this," Duffy said, pointing to a table with 1980s computers, floppy disks and other outmoded equipment still in use at US air traffic facilities.
"We're going to build a brand new car," Duffy said. "It's a brand new system."
Speaking to the event on speaker phone, President Donald Trump pledged the overhaul "will bring American air traffic control into the highest level of anybody, any country anywhere in the world."
Such a transformation could require tens of billions of dollars that would need congressional support at a time when Trump's administration is also seeking deep across the board spending cuts to finance tax cuts.
Duffy did not release an overall price tag during a 75-minute launch event that often resembled a pep-rally.
Funding for air traffic infrastructure has averaged $3 billion per year for the past 15 years, according to a Transportation Department handout, which called for "an immediate infusion of funding to address critical infrastructure needs."
Duffy said he would push Congress to provide "all of the money up front" to ensure the project meets an ambitious three to four year timeframe.
The House transportation committee last week approved a preliminary plan for $12.5 billion as a step towards air traffic control modernization, but that proposal is still winding its way through Congress.
- Newark in focus -
At the launch event, Duffy and other speakers acknowledged people who lost relatives in the fatal January collision between a regional passenger jet and a military Black Hawk helicopter not far from the White House, the first major US commercial crash since 2009.
The effort also comes on the heels an April 28 incident at Newark Liberty International Airport in which air traffic officials stationed in nearby Philadelphia were unable to connect with planes on radar or by radio for 90 seconds.
The Federal Aviation Administration has been reducing arrivals and departures at Newark following the incident, which traumatized some air traffic control staff and caused delays and flight cancelations.
Duffy said the Newark incident underscored the need for action, warning that without a fix "you'll see new Newarks in other parts of the country because it's an aging system."
Speakers at the event included National Transportation Safety Board Chair Jennifer Homendy, who said the watchdog body has seen recommendations for system upgrades going back almost 30 years get ignored.
"This is bold, but I have to tell you it is absolutely necessary to ensure safety in our skies," Homendy said.
This is "a once in a lifetime opportunity," said Nick Calio, president of Airlines for America, which represents US passenger and cargo airlines. "It's to finally get something done to stop the deterioration of our airspace."
In the buildup to Thursday's announcement, Duffy has taken frequent shots at his predecessor, Pete Buttigieg, blaming the Biden administration transportation secretary for the problems at Newark and elsewhere in the system.
But Duffy, a former reality television star who served in the House of Representatives for nine years, adopted more of a big tent approach to Thursday's event, welcoming Democratic Representative Rick Larsen, a senior lawmaker on transportation, who echoed the need for action.
"We've talked about how this effort spans, sometimes spans administrations," Larsen said. "We don't want the effort to span generations."
N.Schaad--VB