-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
UN says Israel school closures in east Jerusalem 'assault on children'
The head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees on Thursday decried an "assault on children" after Israel closed all six of its schools in annexed east Jerusalem, months after an Israeli ban on its activities took effect.
"Storming schools & forcing them shut is a blatant disregard of international law", UNRWA chief Philippe Lazzarini posted on X, describing the move as "An assault on children. An assault on education".
UNRWA spokesman Jonathan Fowler told AFP that Israeli forces "closed six United Nations schools in annexed east Jerusalem on Thursday, posting closure orders on the six buildings and forcibly entering three of the six schools".
An AFP photographer present at two of the schools in the Shuafat refugee camp reported that Israeli forces entered the premises and posted a closure notice stating the schools were operating without "authorisation".
The children had to leave the premises, with many departing in tears. Several young pupils, some visibly moved and others shocked, hugged in front of the school before they left.
UNRWA said one of its staff members was detained.
"From May 8, 2025, it will be prohibited to operate educational institutions, or employ teachers, teaching staff or any other staff, and it will be forbidden to accommodate students or allow the entry of students into this institution," the closure order in Hebrew read.
UNRWA's director in the West Bank, Roland Friedrich, told AFP that "heavily armed" forces surrounded the three UNRWA schools in Shuafat camp at 9:00 am.
Friedrich added that 550 pupils aged six to 15 were present when the closure was enforced, calling it "a traumatising experience for young children who are at immediate risk of losing their access to education."
Friedrich said police were deployed in the area around three separate schools in other parts of east Jerusalem, which has been annexed by Israel since 1967.
UNRWA said that the school year for 800 children had "been ended by force".
- 'Violation of right to education' -
The Palestinian Authority condemned the move in a statement to AFP, calling it a "violation of children's right to education".
In a statement, its education ministry called the closures a "crime" and urged international institutions "to assume their responsibilities and defend the right of refugee children to a free and safe education".
UNRWA has provided support for Palestinian refugees around the Middle East for more than 70 years, but has long clashed with Israeli officials, who have repeatedly accused it of undermining the country's security.
At the end of January, Israeli legislation came into force banning the agency's activities. Due to the annexation, the law applies to east Jerusalem but not to the rest of the West Bank, which has been occupied by Israel since 1967.
Contact between it and Israeli officials is also forbidden.
Israel has accused UNRWA of providing cover for Hamas militants, claiming that some of the agency's employees took part in Hamas's October 7, 2023 assault on Israel which sparked the war in Gaza.
A series of investigations found some "neutrality-related issues" at UNRWA, but stressed Israel had not provided conclusive evidence for its headline allegation.
Nevertheless, the UN said in August that nine staff working for UNRWA would be sacked because they may have been involved in the attacks.
Adalah, an Israeli group defending the rights of the Arab minority, reported that Israeli police were raiding six UNRWA-run schools in east Jerusalem.
The organisation filed a petition with Israel's Supreme Court in mid-January arguing the new legislation against UNRWA violated "fundamental human rights and Israel's obligations under international law".
The Supreme Court rejected its request for the legislation to be suspended.
In April, Adalah demanded a halt to the closure orders on UNRWA-run schools at the Supreme Court.
The state responded that the Jerusalem municipality was offering alternative schooling and the court rejected the NGO's motion.
Adalah called the proposed alternatives "wholly inadequate".
The United Nations considers the annexation of Jerusalem's eastern sector illegal.
E.Burkhard--VB