-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
Sudan cuts ties with UAE after paramilitary drone strikes on Port Sudan
Sudan's army-aligned government on Tuesday severed diplomatic ties with the United Arab Emirates, accusing the Gulf state of supplying weapons used by the rival paramilitaries to strike its de facto capital.
A series of drones struck positions across Port Sudan Tuesday -- including the war-torn country's main port and only functioning international civilian airport -- official sources said, marking the third consecutive day the government's seat of power has come under attack.
Appearing in a televised address in front of the port, where plumes of smoke billowed from targeted fuel depots, Sudan's army chief and de facto leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on Tuesday vowed to "defeat this militia and those who support it".
"The hour of retribution will come," Burhan said in the brief speech broadcast by state media, which described him as standing at "the site of Emirati aggression".
The army has blamed the attacks on the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which it has called a "proxy" of Abu Dhabi.
Sudan declared the UAE an "aggressor state" on Tuesday, severing diplomatic relations and shutting its embassy and consulate in the Gulf country, defence minister Yassin Ibrahim said in a televised address.
The UAE has long denied supporting the RSF, despite reports from UN experts, US politicians and international organisations.
Until Sunday, Port Sudan was considered a safe haven for hundreds of thousands of people displaced in the two-year war between the army and the RSF.
The strikes, which also targeted a military base, came a day after Sudan's main fuel depot was hit, causing a massive blaze just south of the eastern city.
- 'Lifeline' -
An AFP correspondent reported loud explosions at dawn and plumes of smoke over the Red Sea coastal city, one from the direction of the port and another from a fuel depot just south.
One drone hit "the civilian section of the Port Sudan airport", grounding all flights, an airport official said, two days after the facility's army air base came under drone strikes blamed on the RSF.
The RSF has not commented on the attacks on Port Sudan, about 650 kilometres (400 miles) from its nearest known positions on the outskirts of the capital Khartoum.
The UN's top official in Port Sudan, Clementine Nkweta-Salami, said the airport is "a lifeline for humanitarian operations" as it serves as the main gateway for "aid personnel, medical supplies and other life-saving relief".
The United Nations has warned that damage to civilian infrastructure could "further exacerbate human suffering in what is already the world's largest humanitarian crisis".
Nearly all humanitarian aid into Sudan, where famine has been declared in some areas, arrives through Port Sudan.
An army source said a second drone attack on Tuesday hit the city's main army base, with witnesses reporting a nearby hotel was struck.
Both sites in the city centre are near Burhan's residence.
Drones also struck a fuel depot, the army source said, and more hit Port Sudan's main power substation, causing a city-wide blackout, the national electricity company said.
- 'War will follow us' -
AFP images showed thick black smoke billowing over the city.
There were no immediate reports of casualties.
"Yesterday and today just confirm to us that this war will follow us no matter where we go," said Hussein Ibrahim, 64, who has fled RSF attacks on his hometown in Al-Jazira state, about 1,000 kilometres away.
At petrol stations across Port Sudan, queues of cars stretched for more than a kilometre as drivers scrambled to fill their tanks.
Nearly 600 kilometres south, witnesses told AFP on Tuesday that a separate drone strike targeted the airport in the eastern city of Kassala, adding that it was intercepted by army anti-aircraft fire.
The RSF has increasingly relied on drones since losing territory, including nearly all of Khartoum in March.
Sudan's war has killed tens of thousands of people, uprooted 13 million and created the world's largest hunger and displacement crises.
On Tuesday, paramilitary shelling on Abu Shouk displacement camp near North Darfur's besieged state capital of El-Fasher killed at least six people and wounded over 20 others, according to volunteer rescuers.
The conflict has effectively split Sudan in two, with the army controlling the centre, north and east while the RSF holds nearly all of Darfur and parts of the south.
The RSF has used both makeshift and highly advanced drones, which Sudan's army has accused the UAE of supplying.
The army-aligned foreign ministry said it "respected" the ruling based on the ICJ's lack of jurisdiction, adding that it "cannot legally be interpreted as a denial of the violations".
D.Schlegel--VB