-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
East Timor PM says Francis left legacy of reconciliation, tackled abuse
East Timor Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao told AFP on Friday that Pope Francis left a legacy of reconciliation but also confronted the issue of child abuse during a rare visit to Asia's youngest nation last year.
The Argentine, who died on Monday, visited the impoverished Catholic-majority country in September, the first pontiff to go to East Timor since it won independence from Indonesia in 2002 after decades of conflict.
Francis told leaders to do more on "every kind of abuse" and remember "the many children... whose dignity has been violated", confronting them about the issue after clergy members were implicated in several recent child abuse scandals.
"I agree very much, I agree. His appeal was well-accepted," said Gusmao, a liberation hero who was East Timor's first president after independence.
"Sometimes a country continues to be fragile because of abuse, abuse of power, and abuse in every aspect of life. This appeal is strongly accepted by us," he told AFP in an interview in the capital Dili.
Recent abuse cases in East Timor include Nobel Peace Prize winner Bishop Carlos Ximenes Belo, who was accused of sexually assaulting young boys and was secretly sanctioned by the Vatican in 2020 and now lives in Portugal.
Defrocked American priest Richard Daschbach was also found guilty in 2021 of abusing orphaned, disadvantaged girls and sentenced to 12 years in prison.
Daschbach was once revered for saving children during the independence war but was defrocked by Francis in 2018. Gusmao courted controversy by visiting the disgraced priest for his birthday in 2021 while he was under house arrest.
He had also defended Daschbach and said he should not be in prison.
The Catholic church is one of East Timor's most powerful institutions, although Francis did not mention a specific case or acknowledge any Vatican responsibility in the abuse scandals during his visit.
Child abuse survivors have said Francis made important steps within the Catholic church but that much more needed to be done.
"For us the legacy is what (Francis) put in his message, in his appeal," Gusmao said, referring to Francis's call for "unity, harmony, to respect each other".
"This is the legacy that we will preserve."
- 'Defender' -
Gusmao, who was jailed by occupying Indonesian forces, said Francis was a "defender of peace", referring to conflicts in Gaza and Ukraine.
"The reconciliation amongst ourselves, this is more difficult than the process of reconciling with Indonesia," he said.
"The impact (of Francis's message) is harmony, unity, dialogue. It is very important to the young people that sometimes get divided. The impact is extraordinary. Because what he said was religion, our tradition, and our heroes, never to forget them."
He said what made Francis different to other pontiffs was "changing the way the church was behaving", handling the position with "more humility".
Gusmao will not travel to the Vatican for Francis's funeral on Saturday, with East Timor to be represented by President Jose Ramos-Horta.
Francis addressed what authorities said was nearly half of the country's 1.3 million people at a Mass on the outskirts of Dili during his visit.
The pontiff -- only the second to visit East Timor after John Paul II in 1989 -- also emphasised the government's duty to look after the entire population, including the poorest.
"He said, 'your wealth is your people'. Just to remind us that being in the government... not to serve ourselves, but to serve the people. To look after people," Gusmao said.
"And that is why his visit was so wonderful."
He hoped the next pope would "be the same, with the same character, with the same humility".
"Rest in peace, Pope Francis."
W.Huber--VB