-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
Pilgrims flock to pay tribute to pope lying in state
Pope Francis's open coffin was transferred Wednesday to St Peter's Basilica for three days of lying in state, with thousands of people gathering to pay their respects to the leader of the world's Catholics.
Bells from the basilica rang out as the wooden coffin was carried in procession past packed crowds in St Peter's Square, accompanied by red-robed cardinals and the Vatican's Swiss Guards.
Pilgrims and tourists snapped photos, with some applauding as the procession passed on its way from the Santa Marta residence, where the 88-year-old Argentine pontiff died Monday after a stroke.
Francis's body had been held in the chapel of the Santa Marta, where he lived during his 12-year papacy, but will now lie in state at the basilica until Saturday's funeral.
Anna Montoya, 33, from Mexico, was among those who arrived early to catch a glimpse of a man she said was like "a family member" to her.
"I had to come... it feels like I knew him," she told AFP. "He was a good man. He represented what the church needs to be, what Jesus wanted to teach us."
Francis's coffin was placed before St Peter's Altar of the Confession, where Bernini's bronze baldacchino soars up towards Michelangelo's famous dome. It was placed on a low bier, unlike the higher, more ornate platforms of his predecessors.
The funeral is expected to draw hundreds of thousands of pilgrims as well as world leaders including US President Donald Trump and Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky, as well as Britain's Prince William.
Afterwards, Francis's coffin will be taken to his favourite church, Rome's papal basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, where it will be interred in the ground and marked by a simple inscription: Franciscus.
- 'Sorely missed' -
Italy is preparing a major security operation for the funeral, with the weekend already due to be busy because of a public holiday on Friday.
Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi said authorities were expecting 150 to 170 foreign delegations, and tens of thousands of people.
Barriers have already been installed inside and outside the basilica to control the crowds, security checks have been increased and staff have been distributing bottles of water due to the warm weather.
Pasquale Apolito, a 43-year-old Rome teacher, said he was leaving the city later in the day but wanted to see the pontiff if he could.
"I'm not sure I'll be able to see the body but I wanted to be here today. I felt something inside me this morning that told me to come," he said.
"He was a guide for his capacity to listen, to welcome. He will be sorely missed."
Italy has declared five days of national mourning -- longer than the three days observed for Polish pope John Paul II in 2005, but less than the week declared for Francis by his native Argentina.
- Cardinals meeting -
After the funeral, all eyes will turn to the process to choose Francis's successor as leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics.
Cardinals around the world have already been sent letters from the Holy See instructing them to return to Rome to select a new pope.
Only those under the age of 80 are eligible to vote in the conclave, which should begin no less than 15 days and no more than 20 after the death of the pope.
About 60 cardinals of all ages already in Rome met Tuesday to choose the funeral date, in a so-called "general congregation".
A second meeting is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon led by the camerlengo, Cardinal Kevin Farrell, who is charged with running the day-to-day operations of the Holy See before a successor to Francis is chosen.
Francis's death came less than a month after he was discharged from the hospital, where he spent five weeks battling pneumonia in both lungs.
Despite doctors calling for two months of rest, Francis continued to make appearances in public during his convalescence, where he appeared short of breath and without energy.
On Easter Sunday, the day before his death, he circled St Peter's Square in his "popemobile" following mass and his traditional address to greet the crowds, stopping to kiss babies along the way.
Sister Maria Guadeloupe Hernandez Olivo, from Mexico, said it was "very hard, very sad" to hear news of his death.
"I did not expect it," she told AFP in St Peter's Square. "I believe he's in a better place, no longer suffering, but I do feel this emptiness for our pastor."
burs-ar/ams/js
N.Schaad--VB