-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Family seeks homicide charges against owners of collapsed Dominican nightclub
The family of one of 231 people killed when a Dominican nightclub roof collapsed on concert-goers is seeking manslaughter charges against the establishment's owners, according to a legal filing Tuesday.
The widow and parents of victim Virgilio Cruz filed a complaint with prosecutors, claiming the owners of the Jet Set nightclub had been negligent in "safety design" and modifications made to the building, now in ruins.
The family argued there was "sufficient evidentiary merit to indict" the club owners for involuntary manslaughter, and said they would also pursue a civil liability claim against authorities in the Dominican Republic.
"This tragedy is not only attributable to the owners and managers of the Jet Set nightclub... but also to Dominican state institutions" and the municipality, said the filing.
"They failed to fulfill their legal duties of supervision, inspection, and authorization of operations for establishments open to the public."
The roof of the club, a half-century-old mainstay of the capital Santo Domingo, came crashing down in the early hours of Tuesday last week on hundreds of people attending a concert by merengue star Rubby Perez, who also died in the Caribbean nation's worst disaster in decades.
By Monday, authorities put the death toll at 231, with hundreds more injured.
- 'Avoidable tragedy' -
The legal filing listed evidence that the building, which was 52 years old, had been weakened by age, a recent fire, inadequate repairs and "undue loads" placed on the roof by heavy equipment such as air conditioners.
"The facts described here testify to a chain of structural negligence and security omissions, attributable not only to the managers (and) shareholders of the nightclub, but also to public institutions," said the document.
"These institutions, by failing in their duties of inspection, supervision, and control, violated their legal functions and fostered a dangerous environment that culminated in this avoidable tragedy."
More than 300 rescuers, aided by sniffer dogs, worked tirelessly for days to find survivors, and pulled 189 people alive from the mounds of twisted steel, zinc and brick that remain of the structure.
The Dominican government has announced a commission of national and international experts to investigate the calamity.
A preliminary list of victims includes an Italian, two French citizens and, according to the US State Department, "several" Americans.
Aerial images of the site show a scene resembling the aftermath of an earthquake.
A video posted on social media showed the venue, which could hold 1,700 guests, suddenly plunged into darkness while Perez was singing, followed by crashing sounds and screams.
Besides 69-year-old Perez, other high-profile victims included two retired Major League Baseball players and a provincial governor.
P.Keller--VB