-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Paris theatre soul-searching after allegations of sexual abuse
A feted left-wing French theatre company based in a park outside Paris is soul-searching after accusations it has left underage volunteers vulnerable to sexual abuse.
The Theatre du Soleil, a collective based since 1970 in a disused munitions factory in the Bois de Vincennes park east of the capital, is famed for its critically acclaimed plays.
It is also known for paying all its members the same salary, and until recently demanded that even lead actors help out in the kitchen.
But the troupe says it has been in shock since a former volunteer last month alleged "attempted rape" at the theatre in 2010 as part of a parliamentary inquiry examining sexual abuse in the arts.
The probe's final report -- a major achievement in France's #Metoo movement -- on Wednesday called on the creative industry to stamp out what it called "endemic" mistreatment of performers.
As part of the probe, actress Agathe Pujol, in her early thirties, told a parliamentary inquiry that a 39-year-old actor attempted to rape her in front of "several witnesses" at a party at the Theatre du Soleil in December 2010.
Pujol said she had discovered the experimental theatre in March that same year, as a shy 16-year-old with dreams of becoming a stage actor.
Speaking to a parliamentary panel, she described a tense atmosphere in which teenagers were allowed to drink alcohol and "sexual misconduct" was often swept under the carpet.
"It always had to be hushed up," she said.
Pujol also described working for free in the theatre's kitchens, where the unnamed 39-year-old actor would seek to "charm" her and at least four other underage volunteers.
- 'Such a shock' -
A source inside the theatre, speaking anonymously because not allowed to speak to the press, said Pujol's allegations against it had been a bombshell.
"It was such a shock," the source said. "Some actors may have been a bit heavy handed but there wasn't a constant sexual atmosphere."
The theatre has said in two public statements it was "stunned" and was launching an internal inquiry to "determine possible neglect, errors, mistakes, misdemeanours or crimes that might have been committed within its walls 15 years ago, before then or since".
Ariane Mnouchkine, the theatre's 86-year-old co-founder, immediately called a meeting after Pujol's accusations.
"This meeting is one of the most serious in the history of the Theatre du Soleil," the half-English, half-Russian director told attendees, according to a reporter from the Le Monde newspaper who was present.
In a separate case, Pujol has also accused another actor, whose career started out at the Theatre du Soleil in the 1970s, of sexual abuse.
She told French left-wing newspaper Liberation in January that Philippe Caubere, now 74, repeatedly raped her and recruited dozens of strangers to abuse her during a toxic decade-long relationship that started when she was a vulnerable 17-year-old.
Caubere has denied "imposing any sexual relations" on her, and the Theatre du Soleil has said he left it in 1978.
- 'Tough job' -
Other members of the company did not wish to speak publicly.
But the source at the theatre told AFP that after someone was accused of "inappropriate behaviour" last year, the company hired an adviser to avoid situations of sexual misconduct.
Mnouchkine confirmed this, but did not provide additional details.
The source said two members had been fired in recent months, but the theatre director told AFP that the "painful" incident was "unrelated" to Pujol's accusations.
Clemence Massart, an 80-year-old actress who was part of the troupe in the 1970s, said she had never experienced sexual pressure.
"I never felt any pressure other than that of work," she told AFP.
"It's a tough job and it's a place where you have to be good. You need good mental and physical health, and you have to accept to ask yourself questions," she said.
French actress Judith Godreche, 53, called for the parliamentary inquiry last year after accusing two French directors of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager.
G.Schmid--VB